Carvin Guitars, Amplifiers & Pro Audio   Please abide by the following rules:
  a. For issues with shipping, repairs or complaints, use the CONTACT page.
  b. No private sales, auctions or advertising services allowed.
  c. No topics of a political or religious nature, profanity, flaming other members or general bad behavior.
Carvin.com    Pro Audio    Guitars/Basses    Guitar Parts    Guitars-in-Stock    Guitar Amps    Bass Amps    Gift Shop
 Carvin Channel   Carvin Museum   FAQ   Search the BBS   Members   Register   Profile   Log in to check your PMs   Log in 
DCM200L with a 412VB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Carvin Pro Audio View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jump to Bottom of Page  
DCM200L with a 412VB
 PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote  

Do the DCM200L and the 412VB (with V30's) play nice together or will there be an issue with impedance? I am new to all the ohms stuff so forgive the silly questions. What I would like to do is run the XLR outs of my Eleven Rack into the inputs of the DCM200L, but not sure what settings to use on the DCM200L and the 412VB.

On the back of the 412VB it says mono 16 ohms and stereo 8 ohms.

The power amp specifications on the DCM200L says,

(Stereo, both channels driven with rear impedance switch in)
8 ohms 1kHz < 0.5% THD 60/60 Watts
4 ohms 1kHz < 0.5% THD 100/100 Watts
Minimum Impedance 4 ohms per channel

(Stereo, both channels driven with rear impedance switch out)
8 ohms 1kHz <0.5% THD 100/100 Watts
4 ohms 1kHz <0.5% THD -------------
Minimum Impedance 8 ohms per channel

(Bridge mono with rear impedance switch in)
8 ohms 1kHz < 1% THD 200 Watts
16 ohms 1kHz < 1% THD 120 Watts

(Bridge mono with rear impedance switch out)
8 ohms 1kHz < 1% THD --------------
16 ohms 1kHz < 1% THD 200 Watts

Any help is greatly appreciated.
re: DCM200L with a 412VB
 PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:55 am Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

It'll work. You'd probably want to run one of the bridged mono settings into the mono input of the cabinet.
 PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:10 am Reply with quote  
Carvinite

Of course it's a matter of preference but I think I'd prefer stereo at 8 ohms per channel, but either mono or stereo should work fine if properly connected.
 PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:14 am Reply with quote  
Carvinite

There shouldn't be a problem with speaker impedance at all.
 PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote  

Thank you for the info. I will try your suggestions and let you know what happens.
Re: re: DCM200L with a 412VB
 PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

t0aj15 wrote:
Of course it's a matter of preference but I think I'd prefer stereo at 8 ohms per channel, but either mono or stereo should work fine if properly connected.

That may work better if the 11rack is stereo.
 PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote  

Ok just for reference, When using my Line-6 Spider IV 412 cabinet, I had the Eleven Rack's XLR outputs running into the DCM200L's channel 1 and 2 XLR inputs. Below is a picture of the back of the Line-6 cabinet showing 8 ohms per side. Everything ran just fine, but I did not like the sound of the Line-6 cabinet. So I wanted to give the 412VB with the V30's a try.

So the setup seemed to be the same on the DCM200L to me. So I left the settings on the DCM200L at,

(Stereo, both channels driven with rear impedance switch out)
8 ohms 1kHz <0.5% THD 100/100 Watts
4 ohms 1kHz <0.5% THD -------------
Minimum Impedance 8 ohms per channel

I fired up my rig in the normal order, the AC120, then the Eleven Rack (making sure all the volume levels were turned down), and then turned the power on to the DCM200L. All seemed ok, no smoke, no fires. So I started tuning up my guitar through the Eleven Racks tuner. I did not even finish tuning the A string when I heard a loud pop, and saw a red flash through the vent slots on the front of the DCM200L and the protection light came on on the front of the DCM200L. Now the DCM200L is not producing any sound, and the green signal light on channel 1 stays lit even when no signal is going to it.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to get as a new power amp Laughing
 PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quote  

DCM200L still under warranty?

Before you plug in any more amps, check the 412VB with an ohm meter for a shorted/blown speaker.
(8 ohms speakers can read down to about 6 or 7 ohms)

One speaker side could be shorted and blow the amp, but the other side would work at first.
 PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote  
Carvinite

Hey BeetleJ,

Seems like you didn't switch the 412VB over to the stereo setting. If you didn't, AND hooked up both outputs of the DCM200L to the 412VB, you'd get what you got!

And that's a blown amp.

Because, the two sides of the amp WILL NOT drive the two sides of the 412VB, IF the switch is in MONO. In mono, the four speakers are all hooked together. So as you plugged in, you were effectively shorting the two amp outs together (but yes, not the speakers).

Now might be a good time to sit down and figure out what you're trying to do. This will drive how you hook up your gear. If you want to run your Rack11 in stereo, set both the amp and speaker for two channel operation. You might notice the stereo effect though, if you use a seperate guitar cabinet as the second channel. Point being, using the left and right speaker pairs in one cab. as 'stereo', you may not notice the effect 12" apart. Running in bridged mono, with the switch 'out', at 16 ohms, the amp will put out the full 200 watts. So, if you buy another amp, that's probably the way to run it. I have one of these amps and they are stable (not prone to blowing up).

With your next amp, if you do this again, it'll blow too. Electrons don't make mistakes. Neutral
Re: re: DCM200L with a 412VB
 PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote  

Craigvin wrote:
Hey BeetleJ,

Seems like you didn't switch the 412VB over to the stereo setting. If you didn't, AND hooked up both outputs of the DCM200L to the 412VB, you'd get what you got!

And that's a blown amp.

Hey Craigvin,
You were correct. The first time I hooked up the amp to the 412VB I did not change the switch on the 412VB to stereo. I saw the rubber plug that covers the mono/stereo switch and removed it, had a look, but did not see the switch buried down in there. So in my newbie way of thinking I figured the cabinet would know by the number of connection to it how it should run stereo or mono. I have now located that switch and set it to stereo.

I connected my Line-6 Spider IV HD150 to the 412VB and it sounded 100% better than the stock Line-6 412 cabinet.

Forgive me asking more newbie questions, but when you said “Running in bridged mono, with the switch 'out', at 16 ohms, the amp will put out the full 200 watts.” Wouldn’t I need two power amps to get the stereo sound? One for the left channel of the eleven rack powering one 412 cabinet and one for the right channel powering another 412 cabinet?

Thanks for all the help guys.
 PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote  
Carvinite

There was another guy 'here' last week that had made a similar mistake so, don't feel too bad!

So if you're going the stereo route, you'll still get 200 watts. Follow the amp's manual and run it in stereo (not bridged) with the amp's impedance switch out again. As you plug into your 412VB in stereo, that will give the amp an 8 ohm load on each side, at 100 watts.

Just re-read your post! So you're going to get another 412VB? If so, just run each 412 in MONO and hook up a speaker to each side of the amp. You'll probably get about 50 watts per side or more BUT, Carvin does not indicate the output into a 16 ohm load, other than in bridged mono. operation. So the settings on the amp 'help' it put out more wattage according to if it's bridged mode or stereo operation. You'll want stereo setting with imp. switch in the 'out' position.

Yes, Rack11 L and R outputs go directly to the amp. Set the amp sensitivity knob lower for practice and up for performance. That keeps things with a minimum of noise.

Good Luck and have fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Carvin Pro Audio

Page 1 of 1
Top of Page