Carvin Guitars, Amplifiers & Pro Audio   Please abide by the following rules:
  a. For issues with shipping, repairs or complaints, use the CONTACT page.
  b. No private sales, auctions or advertising services allowed.
  c. No topics of a political or religious nature, profanity, flaming other members or general bad behavior.
Carvin.com    Pro Audio    Guitars/Basses    Guitar Parts    Guitars-in-Stock    Guitar Amps    Bass Amps    Gift Shop
 Carvin Channel   Carvin Museum   FAQ   Search the BBS   Members   Register   Profile   Log in to check your PMs   Log in 
Carvin v3m problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Customer Service & Technical Support View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jump to Bottom of Page  
Carvin v3m problem
 PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote  
Carvinite

As the title suggest, starting to have problems with my clean channel cutting in and out, like a bad cord, has any one of you had any of these problems before with this amp?

Tryed new cord but its only on the clean channel does not happen on the other channels at all. even changed the tubes and no go.

Gonna give Carvin a call tomorrow, just thought one of you may know whats going on.
its out of warranty.
re: Carvin v3m problem
 PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:07 am Reply with quote  
Platinum Carvinite

Ooooh that's too familiar sounding. I developed a similar problem. It was like my amp had a gate on it. It would cut out on decay to the point that you had to really strike hard to push the signal through. Except mine was on all channels. Tried multiple guitars, mulitple cables, different wattage settings. No dice. I dropped it at the Santa Ana store about two weeks ago. Haven't gotten a progress report from Roberto yet. I hear they're pretty jammed up in tech right now. Hopefully I should have it back on Thursday (that's the day the truck delivers to Santa Ana. Saves the shipping time and $$). I'll let you know what transpires if you can hang on another day. I'd hate to think this is more than just a fluke incident.

~~The Tenth Illusion Bandsite~~
 PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote  
Carvinite

Evster 2012 yea let me know what you find out, tryed to call Carvin and all their amp techs are gone for the day.
this sucks because its now out of warranty all 3 of my Carvin amps had problems that I had to send back, the v3 which cost me about 400 to fix and the nomad which was under warranty, and now my v3m.
 PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote  
Carvin Engineering

Hi shred meister. have you tried cleaning ribbon cables inside with electronic contact spray. I would also check the tube socket for V3 preamp tube.
Re: re: Carvin v3m problem
 PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote  
Carvinite

EmericC wrote:
Hi shred meister. have you tried cleaning ribbon cables inside with electronic contact spray. I would also check the tube socket for V3 preamp tube.

I didnot check the ribbon, however I did replace the tubes to no avail,
sent the amp in for repair today, thanks emmeric you have been very helpful to me in the past and had many conversations with you! what a great guy!
 PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Carvinite

Well Shred, I got mine back today and it plays perfectly. I plugged it in and woot, worked like a charm. Roberto said it passed all inspections without a hiccup and they could find nothing wrong with it. He suggested perhaps something was loose and got jarred back into place in transit. Must have been the case. I'm stoked my amp is right as rain of course, and I hope yours gets sorted without any problems.

~~The Tenth Illusion Bandsite~~
 PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote  
Carvin Engineering

shred meister wrote:
EmericC wrote:

sent the amp in for repair today, thanks emmeric you have been very helpful to me in the past and had many conversations with you! what a great guy!

I see. I'll check it out myself as soon as it gets here. I'll keep you posted.
 PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:01 am Reply with quote  
Carvinite

Evster2012 wrote:
Well Shred, I got mine back today and it plays perfectly. I plugged it in and woot, worked like a charm. Roberto said it passed all inspections without a hiccup and they could find nothing wrong with it. He suggested perhaps something was loose and got jarred back into place in transit. Must have been the case. I'm stoked my amp is right as rain of course, and I hope yours gets sorted without any problems.

Good to here man!
 PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:03 am Reply with quote  
Carvinite

EmericC wrote:
shred meister wrote:
EmericC wrote:

I see. I'll check it out myself as soon as it gets here. I'll keep you posted.

EmriicC thank you so much you da man!!!
Re: Carvin v3m problem
 PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote  
Carvinite

shred meister wrote:
As the title suggest, starting to have problems with my clean channel cutting in and out, like a bad cord, has any one of you had any of these problems before with this amp?

Tryed new cord but its only on the clean channel does not happen on the other channels at all. even changed the tubes and no go.

Gonna give Carvin a call tomorrow, just thought one of you may know whats going on.
its out of warranty.

Hi shred meister,

What was the fix that Carvin did to your amp?

Same exact problem just developed for my V3M over the last week or so. Clean channel cutting out. Scratchy and very low volume when it happens. It's just the clean channel. Changed tubes, guitars, cables, to no avail.

Like Evster said, I have to push a lot of signal to get the clean channel to do anything. Seems like it comes back on its own, then goes out again. This is worrying me. I've got rehearsal on Thursday.

It's out of warranty. One year? Shocked I thought I had three.

So, again, what did Carvin do to fix it? Question
2013 Bolt V
2013 212E 2x12 Vintage Cab - GT12's
2013 Son's Bolt Kit
 PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:53 am Reply with quote  
Platinum Carvinite

Hi Hallwayminstrel

I don't have one of these amps, but maybe I could suggest pushing all the connector cables together, tight. From what I've read it seems to be a common issue with all of the connectors in these amps. Hopefully, this will get you playing again.

Cheers Bro Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
Gibson Les Paul Supreme - Flamed Root Beer top & Back,
Taylor 314CE,
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic,
Marshall 1960A,
Bogner 2x12 Bluesbreaker Style Cab with V30.
 PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote  
Carvinite

Geddy wrote:
Hi Hallwayminstrel

I don't have one of these amps, but maybe I could suggest pushing all the connector cables together, tight. From what I've read it seems to be a common issue with all of the connectors in these amps. Hopefully, this will get you playing again.

Cheers Bro Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Hello Geddy,

I'll open up the amp definitely, to see if a capacitor is swollen or whatever. Here's a pic I took not long ago when I biased the new tubes. I checked then for any loose connections because of other posts on this board. But it does seems like a loose connection or a leaky cap or some such thing.

Cables look nice and tight, no caps swollen in the pic. Maybe something's changed since then:

2013 Bolt V
2013 Son's Bolt Kit
 PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Carvinite

I'm assuming you replaced all the tubes, right? Including the small driver tub for the power tubes (like a 12AT7) or something similar? Is there any crackling associated with the sound cutting off? Also, does this happen in all channels? If yes to all of these questions it's possible that the driver tube is bad, although I would find that hard to believe.

Have you checked the small output fuse holder; I'm wondering if it could be loose or improper connection.

Has anyone from Carvin PM you with suggestions? If not, I think a call is in need. I'll try and help where ever I can.

Cheers Bro and good luck. Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
Gibson Les Paul Supreme - Flamed Root Beer top & Back,
Taylor 314CE,
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic,
Marshall 1960A,
Bogner 2x12 Bluesbreaker Style Cab with V30.
 PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote  
Carvinite

Oh, yeah, all that. It's in the amp. I am suspecting the C10 capacitor between the V3B tube and the EQ block for channel 3.

I've got a call and an email into Carvin support. I am trying to confirm that this was the same fix as applied in this topic.
2013 Bolt V
2013 Son's Bolt Kit
 PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote  

I am having the same problem with my V3M. I replaced the preamp tubes per the recommendation from the Carvin troubleshooting forum, but I found I had to give the top of the amp a firm hit with the heel of my hand to get it to run right. Since that time, I haven't had the problem again.

Prior to replacing the preamp tubes, I went in and unplugged the ribbon connectors, then replugged them all--one at-a-time. This did not remedy the problem. I even cleaned each one with electrical contact cleaner.

Here's the kicker; I bought the V3M because I was having the same exact problem with my Carvin SX-200---I never figured out what went wrong with that---even sent it to an amp tech.

I absolutely LOVE this amp when its running properly. Also, I was able to reuse the sx-200 cabinet for the V3M after taking out the electronics and making a plywood back cover. I used the original 2 in. x 23 in. back strip to fill in where the electronics used to be in the top front. I had to leave a small air space to keep the sx-200 format speaker venting.
 PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote  
Carvinite

RImike,

In my case it did turn out to be the connectors. I just jiggled the connector that I was suspecting and pushed it in real good. I have not had the problem since. And it happened a lot before that.

Carvin tech support told me over the phone that I can spray electrical contact cleaner into the holes on the connector without having to remove the connector itself. Just spray, jiggle, push.

Hope your amp continues to work also.
2013 Bolt V
2013 Son's Bolt Kit
 PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:07 am Reply with quote  

I don't suppose you remeber exactly which ribbon connection it was that fixed your? It doesn't matter, I'll try unplugging and replugging all of 'em again...who knows, maybe I missed one last time.

Thanks! Much appreciate the response!
 PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:55 am Reply with quote  
Carvinite

RImike,

It was the biggest one, that goes over V4 tube (the preamp tube closest to the bias pot). I just jiggled the top of it. I pushed on all the rest also, but I suspected this one because it was my clean channel that kept cutting out.

Good luck!
2013 Bolt V
2013 Son's Bolt Kit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Customer Service & Technical Support

Page 1 of 1
Top of Page