Carvin Guitars, Amplifiers & Pro Audio   Please abide by the following rules:
  a. For issues with shipping, repairs or complaints, use the CONTACT page.
  b. No private sales, auctions or advertising services allowed.
  c. No topics of a political or religious nature, profanity, flaming other members or general bad behavior.
Carvin.com    Pro Audio    Guitars/Basses    Guitar Parts    Guitars-in-Stock    Guitar Amps    Bass Amps    Gift Shop
 Carvin Channel   Carvin Museum   FAQ   Search the BBS   Members   Register   Profile   Log in to check your PMs   Log in 
new brx10.2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Carvin Bass Amplifiers View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jump to Bottom of Page  
new brx10.2
 PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quote  

I searched through all posts about these cabs and I am aware that these are no longer neo cabs but are those beefy ts-10 drivers. Can anyone let me know how they sound???
Had a jam yesterday........running an old v210 with a bx500 and a lb75.......the old cab wasn't matched too great for the task and am looking to upgrade and at times use both. What are the thoughts here?
re: new brx10.2
 PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote  

Also I've been jumping around on different forums and it has been said that Carvin has used speakers made in china..........what???? I certainly don't want to believe that!!!!! can anyone dispell this myth!!!!!
Re: re: new brx10.2
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

dcarlson wrote:
Also I've been jumping around on different forums and it has been said that Carvin has used speakers made in china..........what???? I certainly don't want to believe that!!!!! can anyone dispell this myth!!!!!

No offense intended here, and I'm not defending Carvin or China, but why does it matter? Made in the US does not always mean that it's automatically superior and made in China doesn't always mean it's crappier. If they sound good, make a cab affordable and Carvin stands behind them with a warranty then why should it matter?
 PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote  

No offense taken and I don't want to get on any soapbox and start a conversation or debate about imports but Carvin has been a large supplier of made in usa items and hope that is not changing.
 PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote  
Carvinite

I asked that very same question a month or so ago. I blew a driver in one of my Carvin 410s and I needed to replace it. Not a single response. So, I went ahead and bought another driver and installed it. That was maybe 6 weeks ago. Last Saturday night, on a gig, I blew that new driver. I have no idea if it was made in China ( though I have been assured it was).

Also, for your information, I have A/B 'ed Chinese V30s and Ipswitch V30s on more than one occasion and with more then one set of speakers. You believe Chinese speakers are just as good if you want to, but I know better.

No matter, I picked up an Ampeg 810 this morning. Way more beefy, handles more power and more low end. Made in St. Louis, Mo. with US made drivers.

I love my Carvin guitar. Hands down the nicest guitar I have ever played. I bought it new in '99 and it is still the best playing, best sounding guitar I own and I have many vintage guitars. I will never buy another Carvin amp or cabinet though. darn shame.
 PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

Some of the drivers are 3rd party sourced like a lot of manufactures do these days. Carvin did use b&c and eminence drivers. Where they come from we would have to see their details. I have 2 neo 4x10 cabs with both drivers listed above and play stupid loud in a prog metal band. No issues ever. I also use a small ampeg rig in church, pretty sure it's made in china. Like most things, to get u.s. made equipment you'll pay a premium.

Different strokes for different folks but, I like the hifi neo cab tone and find the 2 cabs easier to move (and split) on stage than a large ampeg refrigerator cab... But they are a legend for a reason. Like I said everyone is different, but I love my Carvin neo 4x10
Sound, and reliability.
 PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

floyd wrote:

Also, for your information, I have A/B 'ed Chinese V30s and Ipswitch V30s on more than one occasion and with more then one set of speakers. You believe Chinese speakers are just as good if you want to, but I know better.

I never said that.

floyd wrote:
No matter, I picked up an Ampeg 810 this morning. Way more beefy, handles more power and more low end. Made in St. Louis, Mo. with US made drivers.

Are you saying an $1,200 8x10 cab has more beef and a lower end than a $400 2x10 cab? Say it ain't so! Rolling Eyes

Very Happy

FWIW, my amp is an SVT4-Pro. I have an Ampeg 810e (USA) at our rehearsal space, but I gig with a 10.4 neo. Ampeg 810's are great for that Ampeg 810 sound, but the 10.4 takes more power and sounds better, IMHO. It's like taking a wet blanket off my sound in some cases. I recently had a 'made in the USA' 410HLF, and despite being rated 1000W, one of the drivers fried with an amp that doesn't even generate that many watts. I love their heads, but personally, I'll not buy another Ampeg cab. So I guess it's to each his own.
 PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote  
Carvinite

No, I'm saying that cab I bought for $500 ( Ampeg classic series 8x10, made by St. Louis Music) is way more beefy and with a much better low end ( not to mention power handling capacity) then 2 $400 4x10s loaded with Chinese ( definitely NOT Eminence) drivers.

And low end Ampegs are now made in Korea and used to be made in VietNam. Drivers are still Eminence though. Wink

So are you saying the new Carvin 4x10s take more power than an Ampeg 8x10? Laughing
 PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:06 am Reply with quote  

okay......an update.......after going through my internet searches, I went with my gut and purchased the brx10.2......(avatar b210 was the only other in the running) I went with the Carvin due to the return policy and for the fact that I've never been dissapointed with Carvin products so why doubt now when in need..........
I received it on friday and so far I have to say I'm pleased.....I ran the cab through home paces and actually am impressed with the sound .......after a couple of hours of playing time I did notice the speakers burn in a bit and smoothed out the bottom end......horn sounds good and brings a good round sound into the cab.......haven't used it in a live situation yet but that will truly be the test..........still hoping the drivers are not outsourced from china but I can't find anything to confirm that.
 PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote  
Carvinite

FWIW, Bill Fitzmaurice is a guy who knows bass cabs.

http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11490

Seems to me Carvin could put the issue to rest, if they chose to.
 PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

floyd wrote:
No, I'm saying that cab I bought for $500 ( Ampeg classic series 8x10, made by St. Louis Music) is way more beefy and with a much better low end ( not to mention power handling capacity) then 2 $400 4x10s loaded with Chinese ( definitely NOT Eminence) drivers.

I would respectfully disagree with you here. 2 Carvin 10.4 (neo or otherwise) will handle 2400W between the 2 of them. Both have plenty of low end. The Carvin has more clarity IMHO. The Ampeg cabs are seasoned with their famous tone, like it or not. The Carvin seems more transparent and responsive to eq.

floyd wrote:
And low end Ampegs are now made in Korea and used to be made in VietNam. Drivers are still Eminence though. Wink

It ain't just the low end stuff. The SVT's (CL, VR, 4-Pro etc...) are made there and those are hardly low end....

floyd wrote:
So are you saying the new Carvin 4x10s take more power than an Ampeg 8x10? Laughing

The 810e specs state that it takes 800W. The Carvin 10.4 specs state that it takes 1200W. All I know with regard to the accuracy of that is that when I ran my SVT4 mono bridged into the 810, the speakers farted out severely at a much lower setting than when I ran it the same way into my 410. So the answer appears to be 'Yes. The Carvin takes more power.'.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bagging on Ampeg. They make (or made) some great stuff. I'm no defender of Chinese or Vietnamese or Indian or American or any other country of origin for drivers. But I sold my Ampeg cab and bought the Carvin for how it sounds with my gear, not who makes the drivers.

Out of curiosity, were your Carvin 410's the BRX series or the older series? All my comments thus far are based on my experience with the BRX10.4Neo, NOT the BR or older ones.
 PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote  
Carvinite

Only on the Carvin website will you find people who espouse those power ratings as factual.

My rig has always been 2 Carvin 410s ( not neo) with 1000 watt Carvin amp and an RBI. I have blown 3 drivers in the last year. They get nowhere near the bass response the 8x10 gets. My 810 btw, claims a rating of 1200 watts.

And yeah, that is the low end Ampeg stuff. Wink They still make Heritage 300 watters and 810 cabs in the US. They ain't cheap. Nevertheless, even the Korean models source Eminence drivers.

Don't get me wrong, I have dragged these 2 Carvin cabs to 100s of gigs and was pretty happy with them overall, until all the replacement drivers I bought kept blowing. Do I prefer the Ampeg? Yes, but I am not bagging on the old 410s. They have served me well and if Carvin still sourced their drivers from Eminence, I may have just replaced them. But even when they were new you could not push them too hard before the speakers started farting.
Maybe it's the ported cabs and the fact that the drivers in my 810 are darker, but it is definitely pushing more bass and it will take more power from my rig without farting. That is factual.
 PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

floyd wrote:

My rig has always been 2 Carvin 410s ( not neo) with 1000 watt Carvin amp and an RBI. I have blown 3 drivers in the last year. They get nowhere near the bass response the 8x10 gets.

Maybe it's the ported cabs and the fact that the drivers in my 810 are darker, but it is definitely pushing more bass and it will take more power from my rig without farting. That is factual.

Then we have clearly been discussing apples and oranges all this time. The OP was asking about the current line of 10.2Neo cabs. My experiences are with a current BRX10.4Neo. Your rig must be with older Carvin models. That's nowhere near a similar comparison. Even the latest version of non-BRX Carvin cabs only take 800W and I'd probably take an Ampeg 810 over 2 of those any day. Especially if I had a roadie or 3.

floyd wrote:
Only on the Carvin website will you find people who espouse those power ratings as factual.

...My 810 btw, claims a rating of 1200 watts.

Ah. So the Carvin specs are wrong, but the Ampeg specs are correct? (kinda like their specs on the SVT-7 Pro power rating? Stir ). Mr. Green

FWIW, the Ampeg website has the 810e at 800W. Maybe yours is an older one? Or are we comparing one cab's 'Progam' rating to another "Handling Capability'? Either way, the BRX 410 will handle at least as much as the 810e, no matter how one slices it. Though my direct experience gives the edge to the BRX. The 810e farting before my BRX10.4 is also factual as of a week ago Thursday. But for me, it's not about how many watts it will take, it's about the tone for the kind of music we perform. The stuff I do does not need to be loud and I rarely use effects other than a phaser or some reverb. In that application, the SVT4 to a clean 4x10 works best for me. Others have different requirements.

But if we really get to the point where we are pushing either of these cabs to their upper power handling specs, then we are probably seconds away from rupturing some very important blood vessel and this all becomes a moot point...

At the end of the day, all that matters is that we all find a rig that we like, that works for us and that gives us confidence that the tone we want is going to be there when we want it. Whether it's US made, Italian, Chinese, whatever. It sounds like both of us have found such a thing (for now) and in that we should rejoice!

And getting back on track, it sound like the OP is happy thus far with his 10.2Neo. Looking forward to the reviews from the first live outing!!
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:46 am Reply with quote  
Carvinite

It is 2002. 150 watt drivers. And by all accounts from people I know and trust, yes Ampeg exaggerates power ratings far less than Carvin does. Nevertheless, it is apples to oranges ( twice the speaker surface area and all Wink) and since I have zero experience with the new Carvin Neos, my opinion doesn't mean much. Still, I tend to listen to guys like Bill Fitzmaurice and other cab designers and sound engineers.

Bottom line is that you, as user of this product, seem to endorse them and the OP seems happy, which is great. His hopes of it being loaded with non-Chinese made drivers aside.
 PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

it is apples and oranges... as stated, the baby ampeg i use at church is made in china. says so on the back. both of my brx cabs have neo's that i play hard and loud that havent blown any speakers. ever. pretty sure they are eminence and b&c as well. after reading your old rig floyd, it sounds like a 8x10 was what you were after anyway. i love that big ampeg sound...just not when its me. im glad youve found your sound! i have no real bias besides my ear. both make quality gear, i lean toward the brx cabs for the reasons stated in my previous post.

to the original poster, congrats!! and give us a show report soon!
 PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

I can atest to the speakers in question. My rig is loaded with Carvin Neos. 2x10 and 1x15 I absolutely love them. I am overpowering them a bit, but they haven't failed yet. The 10's lack the "bigness" of the 15, but stand alone very well even on the 5th string. Of course this has a LOT to do with the enclosure as well. Still smiling every night when I walk out onstage and stand in front of my rig. Thank You Carvin!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Carvin Bass Amplifiers

Page 1 of 1
Top of Page