Carvin Guitars, Amplifiers & Pro Audio   Please abide by the following rules:
  a. For issues with shipping, repairs or complaints, use the CONTACT page.
  b. No private sales, auctions or advertising services allowed.
  c. No topics of a political or religious nature, profanity, flaming other members or general bad behavior.
Carvin.com    Pro Audio    Guitars/Basses    Guitar Parts    Guitars-in-Stock    Guitar Amps    Bass Amps    Gift Shop
 Carvin Channel   Carvin Museum   FAQ   Search the BBS   Members   Register   Profile   Log in to check your PMs   Log in 
Neck Sizes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Carvin Guitars View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jump to Bottom of Page  
Neck Sizes
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

How does the Holdsworth necks differ from the standard neck size? I've compared the specs on Carvin's website, but it does not mention there is a difference in profile (thickness).

I've read that the Holdsworth is fatter than normal. Anyone care to describe how it feels?
Are the shoulders rounded, or does it feel more abrupt?
Is it clubby like oder Gibsons'?

I'm considering that neck on a CT or CS, but since it will be an option 50, I'm not so sure I want to risk it...

Thanks!
re: Neck Sizes
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

I have an H2 and a CS and the H2 neck does feel a little larger but not so much that it feels all that different playing it vs the CS.

The neck is very rounded. Fits the hand very will IMO

I had an SG standard for a week or so and the holdsworth neck is not as "clubby" feeling as that.

I really like the holdsworth neck and I was worried intially that it would be too large for me. My hands are not huge by any means. But the holdsworth is very comfortable

From my understanding also the fatboy neck is larger than the H2

and FWIW i have the 14" radius on the H2 not the standard 20"
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote  
Carvinite

I tried a Holdsworth in the store a couple of years ago and hated it. It might have been the flatter radius, but it was not as comfortable as a DC or CT. It was not clubby at all. I remember it being flat and wide, just didnt feel right. The CT and DCs are so good, I wouldn't change the neck.
In fact, now that I remember it was an all koa on red tag sale for a ridiculously low price, but I wouldn't even consider it.
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

I'm currently considering neck size and profiles myself. Here's the info I was given from the factory:
Standard Carvin neck: depth @ 1st fret, .78", 12th fret, .88"
Holdsworth neck: depth @ 1st fret, .81", 12th fret, .93"

The standard Carvin neck is smaller than any of my current guitars.
The Holdsworth is about the same as my LP Standard.
Re: re: Neck Sizes
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

Drew365 wrote:
Standard Carvin neck: depth @ 1st fret, .78", 12th fret, .88"
Holdsworth neck: depth @ 1st fret, .81", 12th fret, .93"

I have never measured the necks on my guitars, but this sounds about right. The standard holdsworth neck does not feel substantially bigger than my CS
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Carvinite

I'd put it somewhere in between a fat 50s LP neck and the slimmer 60s neck. Slimmer than my PRS Singlecut, but heftier than my American Strat. When I bought my Reissue 59 Sunburst Historic LP, I was stunned by the Louisville Slugger of a neck. I never thought I could get my hands wrapped around it. But after playing it for awhile I found it more comfortable than the 60s profile on my '03 LP Standards.

On a side note: Over the years I've developed some nasty tendonitis, and a rounder profile puts less stress on my abductor pollicis brevis (the mound of muscle on the thumb side of the palm). This is the muscle that eithr draws your thumb around the neck or presses it against the back of the neck, depending on how you grip.

Anyway, I find both Carvin's CT and Holdsworth necks to be somewhere in between. The latter just a tad moreso.

~~The Tenth Illusion Bandsite~~
Re: re: Neck Sizes
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

Thanks all-

Evster2012 wrote:
On a side note: Over the years I've developed some nasty tendonitis, and a rounder profile puts less stress on my abductor pollicis brevis (the mound of muscle on the thumb side of the palm). This is the muscle that eithr draws your thumb around the neck or presses it against the back of the neck, depending on how you grip...

I know exactly where your coming from. I've been dealing with carpal tunnel syndrome since 1991 or so. It was one of the main reasons I ended up selling my 58ri LP. That, and the weight of the darn thing aggravated my lower back problems (L4, L5). Getting older is a... challenge Smile
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

I am also............challenged. Tendonitus, arthritis and the carpal tunnel syndrome, bad back, nerve damage from the bad back, and on and on. I have found fuller necks to be easier for me to play for any length of time.
I just ordered a CS6 and Fast Eddie (the salesman?) told me the necks are a little fuller now than they were when I bought my SH550 a few years back. Do any of you know how much the depth at the first fret and 12th has increased in that time?
 PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

FYI, David from the Hollywood store called today to confirm that they will put a Holdsworth neck profile on a CS model, either 22 or 24 frets. The scale will stay the same at 25".
So, now my GAS decision is down to, do I go CS4 Honeyburst or splurge with a CS6 Koa with Maple fretboard?
 PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:48 am Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

Fat and round would be the way I'd describe the Holdsworth neck. It's a lot like the neck on the '59 Tele that I had years ago, but wider, with a flatter fingerboard and bigger frets (which I wish I'd had on that Tele!)
 PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

Since you mentioned your '59 Tele, I have a '57 Tele with what I believe is a U shape neck which I love. To put it in perspective here's a few comparisons:

Carvin 1st. - .78" 12th - .88"
'57 Tele: .88" .90"
Holdsworth .81" .93"
'07 LP 50's neck .81" .985"

So, the Holdsworth neck has some girth, but it's not by any means large. I've never gotten my hands on an early Jeff Beck Strat, but I understand that's one of the larger necks out there.

Page 1 of 1
Top of Page