Carvin Guitars, Amplifiers & Pro Audio   Please abide by the following rules:
  a. For issues with shipping, repairs or complaints, use the CONTACT page.
  b. No private sales, auctions or advertising services allowed.
  c. No topics of a political or religious nature, profanity, flaming other members or general bad behavior.
Carvin.com    Pro Audio    Guitars/Basses    Guitar Parts    Guitars-in-Stock    Guitar Amps    Bass Amps    Gift Shop
 Carvin Channel   Carvin Museum   FAQ   Search the BBS   Members   Register   Profile   Log in to check your PMs   Log in 
Talk to me 7 String People!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Carvin Guitars View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jump to Bottom of Page  
Talk to me 7 String People!!
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

OK I am making up my mind to order my next Carvin at the end of the month. My birthday is in July, so I am going to order in the beginning of May.

I have never owned a 7 string, and after looking around at the poor choices in the other brands in the guitar market, I am going with a Carvin DC700.

What I think I want is the EXACT guitar that is on the front of the DC700 website page. The Green one. Deep Moss Green Quilt, Black Hardware, but NO Fretmarkers. Although the wife has a preference of Deep Sapphire Blue Quilt, I think I won't loose with either choice.

Natural Body Binding for sure.

Stainless Steel Med-Jumbo frets and Ebony Fingerboard for sure.

I have never owned a Tung Oil neck... is this the guitar to try one out on? Or should I wait for the ST300 or CS6M, which are the next ones in line for me?

I think I also want to jump out to the 20in Fretboard Radius.... call me crazy!!

I don't think this guitar should have a Floyd. That will also wait for the ST300. I think Tune-O-matic is the way to go....any arguments there?

I have also never owned Active Electronics. I am a hard rock / metal style of player so I think the Active pickups will be a good thing for those styles.

And I love the mahogany body and neck of my new V200 that I am thinking I will go with the same choice for the DC700.

So any thoughts, suggestions or advise before ordering would be greatly appreciated.
re: Talk to me 7 String People!!
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:10 am Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

Get the saph blue! It will decrease the time you'll get the OK for the next one.

As far as the tung oiled neck goes, go to a store and pick stuff up to get the gist of what they're all about. Typically they are very slick.
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:33 am Reply with quote  
Carvinite

Once you get tung oil on the neck, I don't think you'll ever go back to gloss on the neck. Smile So yes you should get it for this guitar build.

I personally also prefer the Blue, but the green is more exotic/uncommon so that's not a bad choice. But in time more people will have green... So it's just opinion based. You should look up guitars with each color and see what you like better. Personal pictures show better detail and coloration than on the GIS ones.. in my opinion anyway.

If you get a 20 Radius neck you can't get an OFR, so that's okay if you don't get an OFR.

Stainless steel frets sounds good. I wanna get that on my next order. I didn't get it on my first...

As for all mahogany, if that's what you do and like go for it.

However the tung oil on the neck may be not as smooth as walnut, or maple. Also the low end on the guitar might be a little muddy given the tonal qualities of mahogany being more warm/low. But I wouldn't worry about it as your amp is going to have most of the tone/effect. Have you considered a 5 piece neck?
Re: Talk to me 7 String People!!
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:19 am Reply with quote  
Platinum Carvinite

TriAxis wrote:

What I think I want is the EXACT guitar that is on the front of the DC700 website page. The Green one. Deep Moss Green Quilt, Black Hardware, but NO Fretmarkers. Although the wife has a preference of Deep Sapphire Blue Quilt, I think I won't loose with either choice.

twilightdusk wrote:
Get the saph blue! It will decrease the time you'll get the OK for the next one.

This is a good idea, says I! However, the green would be pretty slick, too, so either way you'll get a very pretty axe.

TriAxis wrote:

I have never owned a Tung Oil neck... is this the guitar to try one out on? Or should I wait for the ST300 or CS6M, which are the next ones in line for me?

Prevention wrote:
Once you get tung oil on the neck, I don't think you'll ever go back to gloss on the neck. So yes you should get it for this guitar build.

Prevention is absolutely right. If you like the feel of a natural wood neck, get the tung oil finish. I could never go back to gloss.

TriAxis wrote:
I think I also want to jump out to the 20in Fretboard Radius.... call me crazy!!

I don't think this guitar should have a Floyd. That will also wait for the ST300. I think Tune-O-matic is the way to go....any arguments there?

I say go for it! And you can't get the 20in radius with the Floyd anyway (not anymore, at least -- they tried that but it didn't end well).
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:12 am Reply with quote  
Gold Member

In order:

Oh yeah, you could do a LOT worse for your first 7-string! I've owned and played a ridiculous amount of models from different manufacturer's in the 15 years I've been playing 7's pretty much exclusively. And the only two that have kept my attention in that time have been an ESP/LTD Hex-7 (only sold it because I really needed the cash to help fund my most recent relocation), and my beloved DC727C (which will NEVER get sold, due to sentimental value and the fact that it's consistently awesome despite it's "faults"). Since this would be your first 7, I'll just say: be patient. Transitioning to the extra-string/wider neck doesn't take long. But you will notice it at first. Just keep at it, and like everything else with playing guitar, it'll all be second nature after some time.

The choice between Moss Green and Sapphire Blue is a rough one! Though in this instance, I think your wife might have the right idea. I think a DC700 speced out like the one your talking about on the page for that model would look KILLER in Sapphire Blue. Especially in contrast to the light golden color that the natural body binding would provide.

MY aforementioned 727 is all tung oil. And I can't say a single bad thing about it. It feels great. But I also really dig satin finishes too. The feel is almost identical. Even after the satin buffs up to a shine after repeated use.

The 20" radius: *shrug* I've never really cared to obsess over a detail like that. 14" radii work just fine for me. And I've always been pretty good at adapting to the necks of several different guitars. I say: if there's nothing stopping you from laying down the cash to try it out, go for it! Unless of course you're getting a floyd.

The trems that Carvin uses for their 7-strings are NOT my favorite. Don't get me wrong. They're "ok". But just ok. And has been the source of many a headache with my DC727C. I prefer tune-o-matic style bridges myself, so it's impossible for me to argue with your choice there.

Actives are great, IMO. I love them. They are, in general, clean and quiet with loads of output. That's the general commonality of active pups, anyway. I won't have any experience with Carvin's active system until Monday when my DC700 arrives. So I can probably speak with more authority on them then. However, based on reviews: I'm betting I'll be dialing the gain back on my clean settings a bit.

Mahogany is never a bad choice with a guitar. I do, however, prefer the rigidity of maple for necks. And as mentioned before: if you go with tung oil on the back of the neck, the 'hog will have a slightly "grainier" texture than something like maple or walnut. It will, however, still be smooth. I put "grainier" in quotes because the difference is negligible and it's not like it'd be an unfinished piece of wood.

So I guess in short: pick a color and go for it, man! Sounds like you've got the rest pretty much sussed out!
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:53 am Reply with quote  
Gold Member

My first 7 had a card date of this Tuesday so I should soon know my personal answer many of your questions first hand. I was in the same boat as you. Everything that everyone else made was either toneless/dull, had terrible specs, were uncomfortable, or just terribly overpriced. I agree with most of the answers above, but I'll throw my two cents on a few.

I went with the 20" and stainless med-jumbo. I played this combo on a JPXI. I hate gloss necks, but the feel of that radius with the frets made up for the glossy feel. I've gone with a satin finish in conjunction with those options on my 747.

I personally do not like TOM bridges due to the limited adjustment range. Then again, I tune down most of the time. I went with the FT7 for this reason.

A different perspective on the tung-oil 5-piece neck, some people can feel the difference in texture between the two types of wood if you were to go with two types of wood. I've never experienced this, but I don't know if I've ever owned a 5-piece neck that was oiled for long enough to wear down the finish. I'm always afraid I'll ding it up, but I may oil the whole thing on my next build.
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

Right off the bat - this isnt going to make your decision any easier.
I am basically a blue color fan (and some purple), much moreso than green - as a basic color. The 3x Blue is an awesome color (the triple step can darken it a bit under normal room light - true in just about any case).
However, the Moss Green bumps "green" right up there with blue for me - that specific color. It was "made" for triple step and POPS! 1 of your next aquisitions SHOULD be this color if you're even thinking about it.

ANY guitar will benefit from a tung oil neck - its smoove. Cool Why wait any longer? Wink

Dont miss the purple CT6!
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

I love the green. For obvious reasons.
As for the neck, if I were putting in a maple neck, I'd go tung oil. If 'hog, I'd do satin. Maple feels better with tung, 'hog feels better with satin. The difference between satin and tung oil is not that great, and the graininess of the 'hog will be covered up by the satin finish. And satin finishes don't have to be roughed up that often. Several years of playing is required to make it glossy.
And yes, definitely, step up to the 20" radius, if you aren't putting a Floyd on there.
These are just my unsolicited opinions. Take them with a grain of salt.
But green is beautiful.....
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

I say go with blue, because I wanna see what it looks like! So far there are already at least 2 green ones that I've seen, mine and the catalog guitar. Plus there was the NAMM one that had regular bevels. I'm sure there have been more ordered based on those. The green is awesome though - really a nearly perfect type of green. What I think would look really cool is to have the top done in blue quilt with the natural binding and ALSO have the back done in clear natural! Kinda like that purple flame DC800 under the reviews.

I dig the 20" radius on mine. It does feel different than the 14". If you like a flatter board, go with 20". I'm also pleased with the TOM string thru's on the 700's. It feels very solid and comfortable to me. Personally, I prefer gloss finished necks because that's what I've been playing most of my life. I know I'm in the minority but it just feels natural to me. Don't forget stainless steel frets!

Scott
 PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:29 am Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

Thanks for the input as usual guys.

Wife says go deep blue sapphire... so we go deep blue sapphire.

And with the black pickups, we are going to have to go black hardware.

I have a little while to make up my mind on the Tung Oil neck choice, so I am not 100% sure which way I will choose yet. But my experience so far says I can't go wrong either way.

Also still debating the 20 vs 14 radius. I think I won't have a problem about with the 14, but am not sure if the 20 is going just a bit too far, or it's really not as far as I think it might be. No Floyd... so I can do the 20 if I decide that is the way to go.

Still pretty set on the mahogany body & neck, but still open for opinions from other 7 string owners.

Thanks again for all the great info guys!! Applause
Re: re: Talk to me 7 String People!!
 PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote  

Location: N. Carolina Carvin Institute for the Musically Insane, V3 Ward

TriAxis wrote:
Still pretty set on the mahogany body & neck, but still open for opinions from other 7 string owners.

My DC747 is a week away from being one year old, all mahog with flame tops. I can't say a bad word about my personal masterpiece. I too have the tung-oiled neck and have many times already proclaimed this guitar to be my #1.

The tung-oiled mahog neck was an extremely lighter shade compared to my '06 CT6M, but it has darkened somewhat due to much use. Funny, because I surgically scrub my hands before I pick this guitar up everytime. Owning this awesome 747 has made it very difficult to pick up a 6 or anything else. Very Happy
 PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

I've been thinking of trying a DC700 build at some point, and while I am still unsure about the finish type (glossy vs. satin matte), I am pretty sure I would go with:
  • Mahogany body and neck
  • 14" ebony fretboard
  • Jumbo stainless steel frets
  • No Inlays (NIN)
  • Body edge binding
  • Tune-O-Matic bridge
  • Active A70 pickups
I would go with black on everything, which makes the "standard" flame maple top sort of pointless, but whatever (it costs more to just go with a plain maple top, go figure). I am a big fan of mahogany bodies and necks; it's just the Les Paul lover in me I suppose. All my favorite guitars from my collection are 'hog bodies and necks, including my CT6 and CT624.

Similarly, I like the 12" radius on my CT6x Carvins and my Gibsons, so I probably wouldn't care to go any bigger than 14" on a DC700 myself. Now, I don't really use the trems on the guitars of mine that have them, so it's a fixed-bridge design from now on for me. And when it comes to fixed bridges, I prefer the T-O-M over the FT7 style.

Page 1 of 1
Top of Page