Carvin Guitars, Amplifiers & Pro Audio   Please abide by the following rules:
  a. For issues with shipping, repairs or complaints, use the CONTACT page.
  b. No private sales, auctions or advertising services allowed.
  c. No topics of a political or religious nature, profanity, flaming other members or general bad behavior.
Carvin.com    Pro Audio    Guitars/Basses    Guitar Parts    Guitars-in-Stock    Guitar Amps    Bass Amps    Gift Shop
 Carvin Channel   Carvin Museum   FAQ   Search the BBS   Members   Register   Profile   Log in to check your PMs   Log in 
J99A pickups VS H50A pickups

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Carvin Basses View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jump to Bottom of Page  
J99A pickups VS H50A pickups
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:50 am Reply with quote  
Carvinite

I'm sure this question has been asked but i can't find it in a search. I was just reading in TB that the J99a's still get that classic (and unwanted) single coil noise, just like Fender single coil Pickups. I'm considering a B50 purchase and was going to TRY the J99a's (eventhough I've always been a neck through / humbucker guy) but if they are noisy like Fender single coils I don't know if i want to go there.

I have the H50a's on my 2010 LB76, how would the new J99a's compair to the new H50a, which i already know?

thanks
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

The J99A's will seem just a little bit "hotter" than the H50A, and they'll have a more pronounced upper-midrange than the H50A. I have two SB5000s w/ J99A pickups and I don't have a problem with noise. IMHO, the J99A pickups are the best sounding true single coil pickup I have ever come across.

There was a guy on the forum here about a year ago from Kansas City that did a great video comparison between the J99A and H50A pickups in his B50 bass. I tried looking for it on YouTube, but I couldn't find it. He may have taken it down.
re: J99A pickups VS H50A pickups
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

Both of these were on special last year , I got both to test.

On my main bass (LB75PF) the H50a was more the tone I was looking for.
Not as hot as the J99a but I thought it was more "equal" across the spectrum , and that's what I was aiming for.
The combination of H50a and piezos are perfect.

I still have the J99a waiting for an application....
And yes , the J99 is a LOT noisier. Being a single coil , I guess it's normal. Playing in a lot of different conditions and situation , this is an absolute "no go" for me.
Don't get me wrong , it does sounds fantastic but I can't have a single coils for the gigs I'm doin' , I'm always 80-100% bridge / 20-0% neck.
Even for home , with the computers and the processing rack , still too noisy for me.

It can be good in combination with a HB2. Has that kind of output.
YMMV
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote  
Carvinite

Thanks for the opinions guys. NOISE is a no go for me, i play a lot of old clubs with questionable wiring. I think i may ned to stay with humbuckers. MY Carvin humbucker preference are the Spapbars but I don't think they are offered on the B50. hmmmmmmm
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

From my recollection the people I've heard that have had bad problems with noise from their bass with J99A pickups have usually been people with them installed in basses other than the SB model. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If I am correct about this then there may be something to the way the pickups are grounded or shielded in the SB models that allows them to work more quietly in the SB model than the others.

I have only gotten some very slight noise (which was barely noticeable) from my SB's with J99's, and my gigs range from outdoor stages with lighting systems, to little dives with neon light signs hanging all around. I was mixing down a recording I did from a gig where I played my SB w/ the J99/HB pickups, and on one song where I turned the volume up more on the J99 than the HB I did notice a very slight hum. I didn't notice it at the gig, but all I had to do was tune out that certain frequency w/ a graphic EQ on the recording.
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

I have J99A's in both my basses (a 2011 LB70 and a 2010 Icon) with no noise or hum at all. The Icon pickups are a standard J99A and a reverse wound.
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote  
Carvinite

Interesting, some people apparently have that classic single coil hum and consider it an issue and some don't. ........ What to do??
 PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

88persuader wrote:
Interesting, some people apparently have that classic single coil hum and consider it an issue and some don't. ........ What to do??

If its a classic jazz tone you're after then most definately go with the J99A pickups. The preamp in the B50 will be able to get you a wide array of classic tones, as well as modern ones too. Somewhere in the '90's I had bought a '64 Jazz Bass thinking that this was "THE jazz bass" to have but I quickly sold it because it was so noisy! My fretted SB5000 w/ J99A pickups is like the "jazz bass" I've always dreamt about w/ its comfort, tone, flexibility, sustain, and quiet electronics. If for some reason the J99A pickups aren't quiet enough for you, then you can always replace them with the H50A pickups.
 PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote  

Anyone have any experience with Carvin Basses in a roots reggae situation? I've heard Carvin equipment raved about for years, especially the basses. I'm ready for a new 5 string and am leaning in the direction of a B50 with two H50A humbuckers unless someone tells me I should rethink this. I play a lot of clubs with bad lighting and questionable wiring. Since I absolutley can not have noisy pick-ups I think the H50A pups sound like they might do the trick. Any concerns about a 34" scale 5 string?
 PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

I remember the guy (or A guy) who did a comparison video too. I think the place I read it was talkbass.com. He eventually went with the swapped out H50A's in favor of no noise. To me (through my cheeep PC speakers), the J99A's sounded ever so slightly more "alive", while the H50A's sounded a tiny bit warmer.

It's funny that some users describe the difference between the two models to be "night and day". Also, some report no single coil noise and others say in different live situations it can go to extremes.

When the J99A's first came out, Kevio praised them as his favorite. He added that if you don't want to go with single coils, the (then) new H50A's were a huge step up from Carvin's previous stacked humbuckers. I replaced my H50N's with them. While I don't regret it, I feel it's only a slight improvement.

I have never tried the J99A's. I'm sure that if you run them both on full, there will be no noise issues. I'm getting more and more tempted to make my next bass a B40 with the J99A HB combination. The J would most likely be run at full volume at all times, with the HB bled in when needed. What do you guys think?
 PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

Mystic Riddims Amlak Tafari uses an Icon 5 and plays in the Reggae band called Steel Pulse. And Madmike23 are you sure about the Icon's having the J99A's cuz the specs page says it comes with SP2 Soapbar pickups? I know you can get the Soapbar pickups wired as a J99A but unless they changed it they come with the SP2 soapbars.
Re: re: J99A pickups VS H50A pickups
 PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

Bob C wrote:
I'm getting more and more tempted to make my next bass a B40 with the J99A HB combination. The J would most likely be run at full volume at all times, with the HB bled in when needed. What do you guys think?

If you do go with a B40 "Bob C", and you select the HB in the bridge position and a J99A in the neck position I'd like to recommend you ask for the coil splitter switch be installed for the HB. I think its only $10 more. I had one installed on my B50 with the J99/HB configuration, and I'm glad I did. When you have the HB in single coil mode its not a very usable sound when its soloed (but standard humbucking mode for the HB soloed is great). Where it really benefits you is when you blend the neck pickup with the HB in single coil mode. That's where it will really makes a nice difference. It gives you a sound very close to two single coils blended. That switch will make your B40 that much more versatile.
 PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

I only have noise issues with my J99A-equipped basses when I have my dirt pedal(s) on, otherwise they're fine. The solution? Noise gate. Problem solved and no need to compromise that great single-coil tone with humbuckers.
 PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

The J99A's are pretty quiet for single coils. I had a pair put into my B5 replacing the H50S pickups.

On the other hand, I have heard VERY good things about the H50A pickups. I believe that Keith @ Carvin likes them the most of all pickups, except for the Radiused Humbuckers.
Bass Amps: B800 Stack 2x10 1x15, RSP Preamp W/ DCML1000, RL610 Stack PB100-15
Re: re: J99A pickups VS H50A pickups
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

Catman10 wrote:

There was a guy on the forum here about a year ago from Kansas City that did a great video comparison between the J99A and H50A pickups in his B50 bass. I tried looking for it on YouTube, but I couldn't find it. He may have taken it down.

I believe that was done by Kay Cee but it looks like his Youtube vid has been "removed by user". Kind of a bummer as it was really good. It also touched on the similarities of the SB and B series.
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

Yeah, that's who it was. Thank you.
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

BigDaddio - I swapped out the (original) soap bars with the J99A's myself. I think I'd know what kind of pickups I have in my own basses. Wink
2012 IC5P sunset burst ("Eternal Flame")
Amp: Carvin BX1500, BR210 and BR118 cabinets
Effects: Boss ME-50B
 PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:20 am Reply with quote  
Elite Carvinite

I know it's a bit off the question but my LB70P with an old J99 and the bridge monster MM style HB is a MONSTER set up. My youngest calls that bass a Swiss Army pocket knife for all it's capable of. He's right. That's a killer set up. My in-the-oven LB70PF is going to be 2 J99A's. Tone report will come once she gets here and I settle into the instrument.
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10
 PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:43 am Reply with quote  
Gold Member

Right on Madmike, my bad Embarassed. I really would like to check out that comparison video again. I am planning another B40 build but this time with the HB and J99A. I would like to hear how those H50A's sound since there is a plethora of J99A videos. I have no problem with hum on the J99A's but I always play with them fully on. I would think if you like to solo them you may run into some hum.
 PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

Why the hell did KayCee take those videos down??

Page 1 of 1
Top of Page