Carvin Guitars, Amplifiers & Pro Audio   Please abide by the following rules:
  a. For issues with shipping, repairs or complaints, use the CONTACT page.
  b. No private sales, auctions or advertising services allowed.
  c. No topics of a political or religious nature, profanity, flaming other members or general bad behavior.
Carvin.com    Pro Audio    Guitars/Basses    Guitar Parts    Guitars-in-Stock    Guitar Amps    Bass Amps    Gift Shop
 Carvin Channel   Carvin Museum   FAQ   Search the BBS   Members   Register   Profile   Log in to check your PMs   Log in 
PM12A Question - Switch Positions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Carvin Pro Audio View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jump to Bottom of Page  
PM12A Question - Switch Positions
 PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote  

I just got a Carvin PM12A self-powered speaker -- using as a floor monitor for my guitar rig. I can provide either line level or mic level signals.

The "manual" is a 2 page data sheet, really. The amp section on the speaker has push switches, but doesn't show a position indicator on any but the mix/through switch for the output XLR. The data sheet provides no indication which position of the other switches should be used for line versus mic level. I don't want to damage the input stages of the amp inputs, so need to know which position of the switches is for what setting on each of the 3 inputs. I'd just like a clarification of the switch positions.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
re: PM12A Question - Switch Positions
 PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:56 pm Reply with quote  
Carvinite

This what I think,
On the Carvin gear that I have is that anytime you push a button in it will engage(pushed in) that situation at that point, be it limiter, shape ,mic or what ever. But if you want to hear it from the horses mouth, call Carvin, it's free. Better yet. call them anyway. A little more data on their spec sheets is in order anyways in my opinion.
Jack
 PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote  
Carvinite

Update.
I found in the manuals section of Carvin your info. On the Carvin home page at the top, it says Carvin service, click and then you'll see manuals, click. Find LM12 or 15, same back plate and it'll have all your info there in more detail. Hope this helps.
Jack
 PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:33 pm Reply with quote  

Thanks, Jack. I was hoping for some basic info like that on the LM sheets to be on the PM sheets. Wonder why they don't...

Seems the basic difference between the LM's and the PM's is the LM self-powered are using analog amps and the PM's are using Class D (digital) amps. The weight is a few more pounds on the LM's versus the PM's.

I've been running a Class D Crate PowerBlock 150 Watt for my guitar rig - Line6 Pod X3L amp modeling pedal with a 12 inch guitar speaker, but it distorts badly with acoustic guitar models - the guitar speaker was bottoming out -- needed a full range speaker, but the Class D Crate I was using has a bit much of digital artifact fizz for a FR speaker. I was relieved to hear no fizziness on the PM12A. But, I did notice it compressing in a live situation with the electric guitars.

May have been overdriving the inputs, which lead to the question. Just want to give it the right signal levels. It does sound a bit more "brittle" than a guitar speaker, as a whole -- will need to roll off some highs and some lows to take some boominess out. Guitar amps & speakers live in the midrange frequencies, mainly. But the acoustics need full range to sound good. Don't want a bunch of amps and speakers on stage -- I'm a weekender -- no roadies but me -- ha...

I heard of others using FR self powered with good results. I'll keep at it.

Thanks again,
Dave
 PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:06 am Reply with quote  
Carvinite

Yeah,
That little eq section is more for balancing than an eq for guit so I see where your coming from. More like for mon. than anything else or acct. guit maybe. My brother used to do a band with those with no outboard eq and they sounded great for what they were for mon. That's where I first learned about Carvin gear about ten years ago. Never thought I'ld own a whole Carvin PA. Very Happy Not that speaker but other Carvin powered speakers of the same rep of what you have.
Jack
 PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:15 am Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

You're not likely to damage anything just by testing it. Start with the mixer volume and the speaker volume all the way down. Turn each of them up very slowly. If it gets really loud really quickly, that would be the mic position. If you really want to be safe, plug a mic into it and see which position responds to the mic best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Carvin Pro Audio

Page 1 of 1
Top of Page