Carvin Guitars, Amplifiers & Pro Audio   Please abide by the following rules:
  a. For issues with shipping, repairs or complaints, use the CONTACT page.
  b. No private sales, auctions or advertising services allowed.
  c. No topics of a political or religious nature, profanity, flaming other members or general bad behavior.
Carvin.com    Pro Audio    Guitars/Basses    Guitar Parts    Guitars-in-Stock    Guitar Amps    Bass Amps    Gift Shop
 Carvin Channel   Carvin Museum   FAQ   Search the BBS   Members   Register   Profile   Log in to check your PMs   Log in 
Just got my new (used) BX500...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Carvin Bass Amplifiers View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jump to Bottom of Page  
Just got my new (used) BX500...
 PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:34 pm Reply with quote  

Órale!
Just received a BX500 I won of the Ebay. GREAT condition, housed in a rack, and well takin' care of.
My first impression was "This amp is LOUD!" As I mentioned in another post, I'm using my old Avatar B-210 cab, 8ohms. Was a little worried about the tone I'd get with that cab, BUT, was VERY pleasantly surprised. I didn't have to go past "3" on the master, and with a little tweaking of the bass "on 4" low mid @ 10' & 2'o'clock, the same with the High mid, and a bump of the graphic @ 80, and a bump @ 500, comp @ 12' and a little drive, my 77' Stingray sounded fantastic! Very articulate, but Thump's! So far, I'm very happy
BUT...
I noticed a hum ( imagine a D note, 7th fret on the "G" string, an octace higher in pitch) faintly coming from the speaker. When I disengaged the tube, it was even less noticable. I read in posts on another site folk's were having a "hum" problem, but my SN is well past the SN's that had a problem. BUT, it's something I think I can live with, and shouldn't effect the FOH sound.
That aside, I think this amp, for the money, and all the extra's it provides, is a keeper!
re: Just got my new (used) BX500...
 PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

I think what you are hearing is what I noticed in my BX500. I've referred to it as a whine sound. If so, I believe that this is just something inherent in these amps. When I plug the power cord into an isolation transformer / power conditioner, the whine nearly disappears. Also, it is louder when using a speaker cab with a horn. Anyway, as I said, I believe this something that we BX500 users must tolerate. My opinion and experience.
 PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote  

Thanks for the reply back 333!
I went this afternoon and played the BX again, and this time I ran a D.I. signal into the P.A., isolated the channel, and threw on a pair of headphones, and I did not hear the hiss, and same with phones in the phone input on the BX, NO HISS. I agree with you, tho it's not a deal breaker, I REALLY enjoy the amp, it's just something to live with (Kinda like a dead spot on the fretboard).
What are you using as a bass cab?
 PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:42 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

As for bass cabs, I have options. I have 4 custom made bass cubes, each with a single 12" Eminence Kappalite HO. I will use anywhere from 2 to 4 of these cabs based on the size of the place. When I run all four cabs the load on the amp is 2 ohms. The BX500 just sings right along; since I bought the amp (shortly after it was first released), I've never had any issues with pushing a 2 ohm load. I play in a 3-piece classic rock band, and I have to provide a solid and strong bottom end. I will also use a 2x15 and 1x15 Woodson cabinet combination. Again, the BX500 just purrs along.
Re: re: Just got my new (used) BX500...
 PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote  

kfc333 wrote:
As for bass cabs, I have options. I have 4 custom made bass cubes, each with a single 12" Eminence Kappalite HO. I will use anywhere from 2 to 4 of these cabs based on the size of the place. When I run all four cabs the load on the amp is 2 ohms. The BX500 just sings right along; since I bought the amp (shortly after it was first released), I've never had any issues with pushing a 2 ohm load. I play in a 3-piece classic rock band, and I have to provide a solid and strong bottom end. I will also use a 2x15 and 1x15 Woodson cabinet combination. Again, the BX500 just purrs along.

So kfc333, your a "Original user!" And NO issues, what a testament on a great design.
You're stocked with the "Heavy Artilliary" as far as cab's!
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:28 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

I've been very pleased with my BX500. My band plays just about every weekend and the amp has always been there without a glitch. As far as speaker cabs go, I also have a 1 x 18 that I use when I really need to pump a lot of deep bass.
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote  

Today, I A/B'd my Avatar B210 and used the 2X10 of the Eden Metro, and I have to say that the Avatar to my ear's sounded better with the Carvin. More articulate, tho the freq below the open "E" will break up, it still thumped! The avatar has the Delta's in it, rated for 700 watts, 8 ohms of course. And for the heck of it, I used both together, switched to 4 ohms, and rattled the studio glass!!
 PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:58 am Reply with quote  
Carvinite

YES! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!! Applause

I had a similar thing happen when I was trying out my new Carvin BRX10.2 cabinet with my BX500 and cabinets I already own. I rattled the walls so much that a picture fell off the wall and broke the glass in the frame. Embarassed Mr. Green
Re: re: Just got my new (used) BX500...
 PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:20 am Reply with quote  

Catman10 wrote:
YES! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!! Applause

I had a similar thing happen when I was trying out my new Carvin BRX10.2 cabinet with my BX500 and cabinets I already own. I rattled the walls so much that a picture fell off the wall and broke the glass in the frame. Embarassed Mr. Green

Órale Catman!
It's an extra step they we have to do now, CLEAN-UP!
What a surprise. I've read many reviews before I pulled the trigger, and everyone commented on the Loudness of this amp. If you have the proper cabs, you have HEADROOM now, and GREAT tone. Enjoy your amp!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Carvin Bass Amplifiers

Page 1 of 1
Top of Page