Carvin Guitars, Amplifiers & Pro Audio   Please abide by the following rules:
  a. For issues with shipping, repairs or complaints, use the CONTACT page.
  b. No private sales, auctions or advertising services allowed.
  c. No topics of a political or religious nature, profanity, flaming other members or general bad behavior.
Carvin.com    Pro Audio    Guitars/Basses    Guitar Parts    Guitars-in-Stock    Guitar Amps    Bass Amps    Gift Shop
 Carvin Channel   Carvin Museum   FAQ   Search the BBS   Members   Register   Profile   Log in to check your PMs   Log in 
Gibson Les Paul vs Carvin CT6
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Carvin Guitars View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jump to Bottom of Page  
Gibson Les Paul vs Carvin CT6
 PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

I've never been graced with the chance to pick up a CT6, but I'm curious as to how they compare to a Gibby. Things like weight, balance, feel, tone and sustain, value, etc.

I'm sure some of you can compare and contrast the two. I'd like to hear some unbiased feedback if possible.
Re: Gibson Les Paul vs Carvin CT6
 PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

Adagio276 wrote:
I've never been graced with the chance to pick up a CT6, but I'm curious as to how they compare to a Gibby. Things like weight, balance, feel, tone and sustain, value, etc.

I'm sure some of you can compare and contrast the two. I'd like to hear some unbiased feedback if possible.

I just sold my Goldtop LP but still have my CT6. Weightwise the CT6 wins. It is much much lighter than the LP was. Sorry but I can't give you exact numbers but I would have to say at least 2.5 lbs lighter. The balance on the LP is naturally body heavy but it still played in a comfortable position. The CT6 is more evenly balanced. I think this gives the appearance of it being headstock heavy, but mine always seems to rest naturally on my shoulder to where the neck is parallel to the ground. Feel is a subjective thing. I personally liked the feel of the LP neck a little better than the CT's neck. I prefer Fender width necks - 1 5/8 - the most so both the LP and CT have a little bit wider neck than I prefer. I think the LP just has a neck profile that better suited me than my CT - the LP was definitely a C contour where the CT has some shoulders on it but maybe not quite enough for some people to call it a U (a U profile with short shoulders looks like a D). Comparing the tone on the 2 is like comparing night and day. These are 2 different beasts. The LP had a looser, deeper tone than the CT. The CT is more in line with a PRS than the Gibby. The CT wins out on sustain. I think that has to do with the construction - neck angle, headstock angle, and bridge.

Value is what you make of it. When I bought my LP, I already had the CT6 and a CS4. I never played the CS4 and always picked up the LP instead. Since then I have refinished the CS4 and changed the pickups to some that I really like and don't hesitate to pick it up now. The CT seems to be the guitar that is sitting on the rack all the time now. It just boils down to what guitar you really have that aching in your gut for. That's how valuable it is. I got the LP because I had never had one and was determined to get one. Once I got it, i felt like I could build it better so I sold it. The CT isn't necessarily a guitar that I could live without either. Only a Strat and tele are those guitars for me. So I say choose the one that is going to give you most or all of what you really need. The LP has a mystique and aura about it that can't be overlooked. Both are excellent guitars. Just go with your gut feeling and choose the one that it tells you to get. Trust me, you will be kicking yourself if you don't get that one.

BTW, if you really want a LP, I say head down to Guitar Center and buy one. You have 30 days to try it out at home. If that's what you want then problem solved. If not, take it back for a refund and order a CT.
re: Gibson Les Paul vs Carvin CT6
 PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

The funny thing about a Les Paul is you have to play a lot of them to get to a good one. Gibson's quality control & wood supply seems to vary a lot. I could never figure out how 2 identical LP's can sound so different. The best Lesters are the vintage re creations that have the long neck tenon & non weight relieved Mahogany. These guitars are pretty consistent. They also cost $3k - $6k. Forget about options, you get what they give you. Unless you get a Custom, forget about an ebony fretboard & dream on if you want stainless steel fret wire or a quited top.
The Carvin is lighter, more resonant. The fit & finish is flawless. The neck is closer to a PRS wide thin carve than a 50's rounded LP contour. Much lower string height with no buzz. The pickups also sound great. If you want a metal machine, just add the M22SD in the bridge. Which brings us to the options. They are endless and reasonably priced.
I have a pair of '60 Brazilian board Tom Murphy painted flame tops in consecutive serial numbers. I'll never get rid of them. But I don't play em much.
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:59 am Reply with quote  
Elite Carvinite

Someone on here once posted some side by side pics. That was really helpful. Wonder if someone could find them.
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:16 am Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

That'd be me. a long long time ago next to my CS4. to compare the neck angle

Spudmonkey I think is the phot-analyst that laid some really nice lines on the pictures to really give a reference. But the LP angle is more, the has one that is nice though.

I love both these guitars. The CS now has PRails, and it's awesome with those. THe LP is and '89 w/Bill Lawrence 'The Originals' stock PU's which i really like as well. They weigh exactly the same at 9.6 lbs. the thinner bodied CS is dense to say the least.

Rock On
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:22 am Reply with quote  
Elite Carvinite

Yeah! Those pics! Thanks, Roy! Applause
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:18 am Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

Wait a second. Does he want a comparison of a LP and a CT6 or a LP and a CS6? There is a good bit of difference between the CT and CS.
Re: re: Gibson Les Paul vs Carvin CT6
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote  
Elite Carvinite

dvlsadvc8t wrote:
Wait a second. Does he want a comparison of a LP and a CT6 or a LP and a CS6? There is a good bit of difference between the CT and CS.

Oops. Embarassed
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

ElfDude wrote:
dvlsadvc8t wrote:

Oops. Embarassed

It's only natural to want to compare the LP and CS and that might be what he intended bur typed it wrong.
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

Maybe it's just me but the CS looks much smoother/nicer and better built/finished on the pics where the neck joins the body.
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote  
Elite Carvinite

GhostRider32 wrote:
Maybe it's just me but the CS looks much smoother/nicer and better built/finished on the pics where the neck joins the body.

It's not just you. Cool
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

I have had three les pauls over the years, and one cs. My 73 studio has some mojo about it and it just sound great. The other two were far inferior to my cs. So like the post before, it depends on the individual guitar.

My cs is 8.7 lbs. not much difference in weight. The cs plays like butter. Maybe the ss frets I don't know. It also never breaks strings and stays in tune much better than all my gibsons.

If I could only keep one I would keep the Carvin.

For the price the Carvin is a much better value.

On a side note do you think a cs and a ct will sound that different? I know there is some confusion about what the op wanted, But I feel they must be pretty close. Same types of wood and all. Any one have both ? and is there a big difference?
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

Gah, my bad. I did in fact mean CS6 >.< sorry bout that
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

Here is my CS6T, with a Tiger's eye deep triple whatever finish on a quilted maple top, with abalone inlays on an ebony fretboard and stainless steel frets. This guitar, including the tweed case, guitar strap, and shipping, cost less than $1,900. A brand new Gibson Les Paul Standard at any store, online or brick and mortar, will run you over $2,000. So, what can the Les Paul do that my CS6T cannot do, besides cost more money? The Les Paul can look not quite as good, it can sound not quite as bright and clean, but at least you can brag that you have a Gibson Les Paul.

I've always loved Les Pauls, and I wanted one for many years. But now, I have a guitar that, in my less than humble opinion, looks better, plays better, sounds better, is made better, and gets a lot of people saying "WOW!" when they first see it. I think I made the right choice by going with the CS6.
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

The Carvin CS6 kicks the Gibson Les Paul's butt in every department you care to compare them in. Every day I play my CS and not a day goes by when it doesn't bring a big smile to my face. They are just so much smoother, classier, and all around better quality than Gibson LP's.
 PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:49 am Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

KevinFL wrote:
The funny thing about a Les Paul is you have to play a lot of them to get to a good one. Gibson's quality control & wood supply seems to vary a lot. I could never figure out how 2 identical LP's can sound so different. The best Lesters are the vintage re creations that have the long neck tenon & non weight relieved Mahogany. These guitars are pretty consistent. They also cost $3k - $6k. Forget about options, you get what they give you. Unless you get a Custom, forget about an ebony fretboard & dream on if you want stainless steel fret wire or a quited top.
The Carvin is lighter, more resonant. The fit & finish is flawless. The neck is closer to a PRS wide thin carve than a 50's rounded LP contour. Much lower string height with no buzz. The pickups also sound great. If you want a metal machine, just add the M22SD in the bridge. Which brings us to the options. They are endless and reasonably priced.
I have a pair of '60 Brazilian board Tom Murphy painted flame tops in consecutive serial numbers. I'll never get rid of them. But I don't play em much.

Well question about two guitars of same kind sound so much different applies for every guitar manufacturer.
I think Les Paul is great guitar. Carvin CS is great guitar but it is not in the same league as Gibson
Carvin compared to Lesa Paul looks cheap..Cheap in a way it looks fancy but cheap.Picture posted here proves that
I never had LP because i do not want to have overpriced guitar so instead of LP I've chosen to have Yamaha Sg2000 which kills every LP i played in every way.
I like Carvin pricing and for that money they give decent quality.You get what you pay for.Do not think Carvin make you guitar for 1500 and it is better then any 2500 Gibson.
It is just not going to happen.Look at the Ebay Carvin guitars do not worth a lot.
 PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

Sharkman wrote:

Here is my CS6T, with a Tiger's eye deep triple whatever finish on a quilted maple top, with abalone inlays on an ebony fretboard and stainless steel frets. This guitar, including the tweed case, guitar strap, and shipping, cost less than $1,900. A brand new Gibson Les Paul Standard at any store, online or brick and mortar, will run you over $2,000. So, what can the Les Paul do that my CS6T cannot do, besides cost more money? The Les Paul can look not quite as good, it can sound not quite as bright and clean, but at least you can brag that you have a Gibson Les Paul.

I've always loved Les Pauls, and I wanted one for many years. But now, I have a guitar that, in my less than humble opinion, looks better, plays better, sounds better, is made better, and gets a lot of people saying "WOW!" when they first see it. I think I made the right choice by going with the CS6.

congrats on that guitar... that thing is gorgeous. you definitely picked some wonderful options
 PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

Walter wrote:
KevinFL wrote:

Well question about two guitars of same kind sound so much different applies for every guitar manufacturer.
I think Les Paul is great guitar. Carvin CS is great guitar but it is not in the same league as Gibson
Carvin compared to Lesa Paul looks cheap..Cheap in a way it looks fancy but cheap.Picture posted here proves that
I never had LP because i do not want to have overpriced guitar so instead of LP I've chosen to have Yamaha Sg2000 which kills every LP i played in every way.
I like Carvin pricing and for that money they give decent quality.You get what you pay for.Do not think Carvin make you guitar for 1500 and it is better then any 2500 Gibson.
It is just not going to happen.Look at the Ebay Carvin guitars do not worth a lot.

Huh?
 PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

I can't speak for the CS6, but I don't like LPs. LPs only ever do "the LP thing." It's a great sound if you're into it, but there are better instruments out there IMHO.
 PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote  
Carvinite

I have a really nice CS6T that cost me $1649 delivered to me in April 2009.

It has been everything I hoped it would be except be a real replacement for this.

that I bought new in 1977 for $850 which included the case and sales tax from the guy I still trade with.
Can't say my CS is top of the line, but it is close. My Artisan was the pinnacle of Les Pauls in 1977. This is a custom shop comparisan. I bought my CS because I was not prepared to pay what it would cost for something with wood comparable to my Carvin, and then put the wilkie type trem on a 3k+ Gibson. These are different guitars, and are equally wasted in the hands of a player that does not appreciate that fact.
I went for the better part of 20 years without playing a new Gibson after my buddy was dropped as a dealer (did not move sufficient product to be worth the accounting time). Spurred on by all the Gibson badmouthing I have read on the web(this place is nothing compared what comes off the fingertips of the cork-sniffers on a LP forum I dabble in), I drove the 75 miles from my driveway to the closest Guitar Center and over the course of a couple hours inspected and played a couple dozen gibbys from a 5.9k R9 to an $800 sg. They were uniformly well crafted, and played suprisingly well.
The Les Paul has not achieved its status through bravado.
All that said, I do not think Gibson approaches the bang for the buck that Carvin generates.

Page 1 of 2
Top of Page