Carvin Guitars, Amplifiers & Pro Audio   Please abide by the following rules:
  a. For issues with shipping, repairs or complaints, use the CONTACT page.
  b. No private sales, auctions or advertising services allowed.
  c. No topics of a political or religious nature, profanity, flaming other members or general bad behavior.
Carvin.com    Pro Audio    Guitars/Basses    Guitar Parts    Guitars-in-Stock    Guitar Amps    Bass Amps    Gift Shop
 Carvin Channel   Carvin Museum   FAQ   Search the BBS   Members   Register   Profile   Log in to check your PMs   Log in 
RX1200L

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Carvin Pro Audio View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jump to Bottom of Page  
Poll :: Have you had problems with this mixer?

yes
0%
 0%  [0]
no
100%
 100%  [1]
Total Votes : 1

RX1200L
 PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:02 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

I'm drooling about getting one of these but see many people on the forum having issue with Carvin bass heads and several people have complained about some of Carvin's bigger mixers. I'd like to know your experiences (good or bad) with the powered version of this PA mixer.

Thanks
re: RX1200L
 PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:46 am Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

I have one and like it, for what it is. It's the most feature-rich, most powerful box-style mixer I've ever used. It has almost as many connectivity options as its big brothers. I mean, 2 monitor mixes in a box style mixer? That's flippin' awesome. If it had the power routing options of the C1648P (dividing power between mains and monitors, or all to the monitors), it'd be about perfect.
However...

If you're playing anything but small bars, or just have a really loud band, you're gonna want more power. I use this mixer when we play small bars, but my bandleader likes WAY more volume than I do.
My girl got me a set of LM153s for Xmas to go with the RX1200L. I also included a powered Sub (LS1801NA). Pretty good sounding rig.
The LM153s are great mains. They are light, sound great, and take a lot of power. Only problem is they aren't terribly efficient. So the 250 watts per side I was getting out of the RX1200L wasn't giving me as much SPL as I thought it would. So with the lighter weight, you sacrifice a bit of volume.
Eventually, I bought a DCM3800L to run the mains in stereo at 700 watts per side. This addition gave me a dramatic boost in volume. Now I'm happy with it.
I think it'll eventually become my backup mixer. The C1648P will probably replace it in a couple of years. But overall, I'm happy with it now. I don't have a complete enough rig to do full on band sound yet. When I've got a full set of monitors, I'm sure I'll get the bug to start doing small scale pro sound.
Re: re: RX1200L
 PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:18 am Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

soundhound wrote:
I have one and like it, for what it is. It's the most feature-rich, most powerful box-style mixer I've ever used. It has almost as many connectivity options as its big brothers. I mean, 2 monitor mixes in a box style mixer? That's flippin' awesome. If it had the power routing options of the C1648P (dividing power between mains and monitors, or all to the monitors), it'd be about perfect.
However...

If you're playing anything but small bars, or just have a really loud band, you're gonna want more power. I use this mixer when we play small bars, but my bandleader likes WAY more volume than I do.
My girl got me a set of LM153s for Xmas to go with the RX1200L. I also included a powered Sub (LS1801NA). Pretty good sounding rig.
The LM153s are great mains. They are light, sound great, and take a lot of power. Only problem is they aren't terribly efficient. So the 250 watts per side I was getting out of the RX1200L wasn't giving me as much SPL as I thought it would. So with the lighter weight, you sacrifice a bit of volume.
Eventually, I bought a DCM3800L to run the mains in stereo at 700 watts per side. This addition gave me a dramatic boost in volume. Now I'm happy with it.
I think it'll eventually become my backup mixer. The C1648P will probably replace it in a couple of years. But overall, I'm happy with it now. I don't have a complete enough rig to do full on band sound yet. When I've got a full set of monitors, I'm sure I'll get the bug to start doing small scale pro sound.

Thanks for the review however i though it pushed 400WTs a side at 4 ohms? (Is that 250 a side at 8 OHMS?) I was thinking running two LS-2153 speakers and one powered sub for small to med sized clubs with the entire band miked. That would be 800 wts for the front end leaving 800 wts for monitors. It's a 4 piece band needing 5 vocal inputs, (I don't sing behind my keys all night) 3 guitars inputs (one for an acoustic amp) , one input for bass and keys - I'm a bass player but also play some keys and use a sub mixer, and 3 mikes for drums. Kick, snare and overhead) So we're covered by 12 inputs. If i got the 16 channel powered board I'd have a little more wattage and a few more inputs but it also cost more and takes up more realestate on stage. (We run our own sound from stage)

Hopefully a few others will chime in with their opinions. My major concern is reliability. Lately some forum members have been complaining about some of Carvin's bass amps and one member recently had a bad experience with one of the concert series sound boards. The moderator locked his thread! So my concern is really in the heads reliability hense the poll. ANYWAY ... again I appreciate your feedback. thanks!
 PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:37 am Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

Yes, 250 watts at 8 ohms.

I've never heard a 2x15 cab that I've liked, but that's up to you.
IMO, you need to get the horn elevated enough so it can reach your entire audience, instead of just killing the front row. Single 15" or 12" cabs do that better on stands than 2x15 cabs on the floor or on the stage.

Also, I would worry that the relatively low power of the RX1200L would not be enough to properly drive the 2x15 cabs.

And 800 watts for monitors also assumes you'll be running a 4 ohm load on both monitor amps. So that means either four 8 ohm speakers, or two 4 ohms speakers. You don't see a lot of 4 ohm wedges, so I assume you're planning on 4 monitor speakers on the floor. Is that correct?
Re: re: RX1200L
 PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:25 am Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

soundhound wrote:
Yes, 250 watts at 8 ohms.

I've never heard a 2x15 cab that I've liked, but that's up to you.
IMO, you need to get the horn elevated enough so it can reach your entire audience, instead of just killing the front row. Single 15" or 12" cabs do that better on stands than 2x15 cabs on the floor or on the stage.

Also, I would worry that the relatively low power of the RX1200L would not be enough to properly drive the 2x15 cabs.

And 800 watts for monitors also assumes you'll be running a 4 ohm load on both monitor amps. So that means either four 8 ohm speakers, or two 4 ohms speakers. You don't see a lot of 4 ohm wedges, so I assume you're planning on 4 monitor speakers on the floor. Is that correct?

Yes 4 singers/4 monitors. I don't have an issue runn ing 2X15s in a cab but I agree 10's or even 8s can be better for upper mids. And the speakers would have to be lifted so at least the horn is above people heads. For me as with most people it's a balancing act between cost and need. The band is a tight cover rock band but we're all older (Been a working musician since the 80s) and there isn't a lot of work in our area so between our age and lack of local venues we don't see ourselves playing more than once or twice a month ... a part time "hobby" thing. So what ever I buy I'll frankly NOT make my money back on any time soon. I'd LOVE to take out my credit card and go nuts but can't justify it. If I spend $1200 on PA I'll gig for a year just to pay for it. This is the real reason I'm thinking about the RX1200L ... it's the bang for the buck aspect of the unit. I'd actually go for the 1X15 cheaper cabs and two subs, the only drawback is the 1X15 cabs are 8 ohms and won't get the full 400 WTs each. Hmmmmmmmm what to do??
 PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:24 am Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

I've used A C1644P for years and been very happy with it. I had one, sold it for another big name board, but went back to Carvin and got another C1644P. Over about 7 years, I've had two issues. In the first mixer a circuit board became slightly unseated, resulting in intermediate shorts. I had a friend who is pretty good with electronics figure it out and fixed it. No big deal as far as I'm concerned as much as the board got moved around.

The second issue we were running on a generator that seemed to be pretty overloaded. It tripped its breakers a few times, and at some point in the show, the mixer's power supply went up in a puff of smoke. Carvin repaired it and charged me substantially less than their regular rate. I can't fault the mixer in this case either, and was happy with the service I received in this case.

For me, the bottom line is I've been very pleased with the board. I can't think of anything that gives you more bang for the buck. I'd buy it again and recommend it to anybody who asks.

On the other hand, I'd stay away from 2 x 15 speakers. You'll generally get a cleaner sound out of 1 x 12 or 1 x 15 and subs than 2 x 15. Too much low-mid mud. Also, I think it's kind of optimistic to expect to power a good sized band's mains and monitors with a powered mixer like that. I'd probably use it for monitors and use powered mains.
 PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

Yeah, how about this:
The RX1200L, four LM12 monitors, an LS1801NA powered 18" sub, and a pair of LM12A powered 12's out front for mains? That'd be a great little system.
 PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote  

Can't speak to the relaibility concern - there doesn't seem to be a huge # of negative posts compared to how many are probably sold so I'd say they're probably OK. 'Course, stuff happens - that's why I go for total redunancy when I gig - been left "high and dry" too many times; guitars, amps, cables, mikes, etc., etc. from pretty much any name brand.

We have a PA1200 (2 generations back from the RX1200L) and a C1644P (one of the last 3 Carvin had after the 1648P came out). For a bluegrass/gospel band, they both worked well in rooms up to 200 or so people (1600 '2) and the 1644 could handle up to 300 or so people (2500 '2). At the high end of crowd/room they were really cranked @ 8 ohms. We often added speakers just to bring the load down and get more "breathing room". I think if you're pushing any kind of volume on stage, or play in really noisy bars, you're going to need to be @ 4 ohms or better yet, outboard amps.

Love both units, hope they both last a long time, but like everything else, they have their place and they have their linits. As long as you keep that in mind when you put your system together, you won't be disappointed.

peb
 PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:16 am Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

Guys I appreciate all the responses and advice! I'm still not sure what I'll end up with because I'm not ready to purchase TODAY (I wish i were) but you've all given me good food for thought. I know in my area most clubs/bars are small, a few hundred people or less, and fact is the sound system in these kinds of rooms more or less balances the sound and supports vocals, much of the instrument sound still comes from the stage. Given that I'm still leaning towards the RX1200L because of cost and very small foot print but I would definietly want to run it down to 4 OHMS to get the full wattage. I'd consider 400 WTS per top front end speaker minimum power for a rock band in a small to med room. (Not counting subs of course)

If ... well not if, more probably WHEN I loosen up my credit card and purchase I'll let the forum know what I decided to get.

Again thanks for the feedback.
 PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:18 am Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

88persuader wrote:
Guys I appreciate all the responses and advice! I'm still not sure what I'll end up with because I'm not ready to purchase TODAY (I wish i were) but you've all given me good food for thought. I know in my area most clubs/bars are small, a few hundred people or less, and fact is the sound system in these kinds of rooms more or less balances the sound and supports vocals, much of the instrument sound still comes from the stage. Given that I'm still leaning towards the RX1200L because of cost and very small foot print but I would definietly want to run it down to 4 OHMS to get the full wattage. I'd consider 400 WTS per top front end speaker minimum power for a rock band in a small to med room. (Not counting subs of course)

If ... well not if, more probably WHEN I loosen up my credit card and purchase I'll let the forum know what I decided to get.

Again thanks for the feedback.

Speaker efficiency and design has a much bigger impact on how much sound it puts out than running at 4 ohms and picking up a few extra watts. Even though it sounds like a lot, a 50% increase in power won't give you much of a difference in volume at all.
 PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:16 am Reply with quote  

FYI....We purchased the RX1200 w/ (2) LS2153 's (package deal) about five years ago. We had three monitors already so we were set on that end. We typically play the 200-300 person max local bars, classic rock/80's dance music. Four vocals, mic'd guitar, bass direct, mic'd kick drum/snare. We ran this system without any extra power amps for about two years and never had any issues at all. The RX1200 is a tank!! Our volumes were never an issue. In fact there were times when we were asked to turn down!! It takes some time to really figure the system out and get the best overall sound/output but once you get some basic settings dialed in, tweaking them to the room your playing is a piece of cake.

We have since made some changes to our p.a. due to not wanting to lug those LS2153's around any more seeing we are all in our mid 40's now HAHA!! We still use the RX1200 but now we have two pole mounted PM15's on top of two powered LS1801's. We do use an external power amp for the mains now too. I will say that what we are using now is an amazing upgrade and we do have more control with our overall sound but, the Carvin p.a. packages like the one you are interested in is an incredible package that is reliable, gig ready, easily expandable and budget worthy too!!
 PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:24 pm Reply with quote  

I had 2 of them in 2 different bands. The latter I ran the rx1200, 4 monitors, 2 Carvin 3 way cabs and used the sub out into a pair of 18's with 1800 watts pushing them. Volume was never an issue, I was asked to turn it down several times, never told to turn up. Never had a single issue. Probably the best powered mixer I've ever used and I've been playing out for 25 years. Portable, plenty of power, lots of routing options and external hookups for aux mains/mons...great mixer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Carvin Pro Audio

Page 1 of 1
Top of Page