Carvin Guitars, Amplifiers & Pro Audio   Please abide by the following rules:
  a. For issues with shipping, repairs or complaints, use the CONTACT page.
  b. No private sales, auctions or advertising services allowed.
  c. No topics of a political or religious nature, profanity, flaming other members or general bad behavior.
Carvin.com    Pro Audio    Guitars/Basses    Guitar Parts    Guitars-in-Stock    Guitar Amps    Bass Amps    Gift Shop
 Carvin Channel   Carvin Museum   FAQ   Search the BBS   Members   Register   Profile   Log in to check your PMs   Log in 
BR210 quick question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Carvin Bass Amplifiers View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jump to Bottom of Page  
BR210 quick question
 PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:19 am Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

I'm considering buying one of the "$199" BR210-8C cabinets. A few quick questions.

1. Is this cabinet ported? Porting isn't mentioned in any of the product discriptions.

2. Can it handle a decent load and still support rich bottom? I'm using a Markbass Tube 800 head which will push 500 WTS at 8 ohms and play and LB76 and LB70F. (Obviously I'm not really pushing 500 WTS unless I'm pushing the head to it's max which I never do) I don't need it to fill the club with sound but do need it to keep up with a live T40 rock band on stage. (Everything runs through the house mix)

Before spending the cake I'd appreciate some opinions.

Thanks.

OH BTW ... I own great sounding GK 4X10 cab. I don't need another cab for sound, I'm simply interested in lightening my load and going smaller. If the 2X10 isn't capable of supporting a stage mix at live band volumes by itself I'll stay with what I have now.
 PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:39 am Reply with quote  
Gold Member

The BR cabs are not ported. I don't own one myself, but in my on going search for the perfect sound, I've been told that the BR cabs have a more focused low end, but not as saturated as the BRX cabs. So, if you're used to the GK cab, then you won't like the BR's.

For nearly double the money, you could go with the BRX 210, however, GK makes a ported neo 210 in wedge form that may be something to consider.

(psst, hopefully by suggesting the GK wedge 210, word with get back to the powers that be and spark Carvin to bring back their ported wedge 210 as a stand alone cab)
re: BR210 quick question
 PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote  

i dont have the br210, but as mentioned earlier it is NOT ported. you mentioned you play a lb76. I notice the low end of the br210 isnt that great compared to the brX210 cab. i do own a brx210-4 cab and this sucker handles my lb76 with authority! i also i have a ADA 2x10 and peavey 4x10 (all ported) and the Carvin brx210 handles low end better than the other two cabs. (the peavey is close). in the past i played through a NON ported 210 and i hated it for low end... I will never own another non-ported cabinet again.. you should feel the air that comes from my Carvin brx210-4 cab when i play the B string. it could blow out a lighter.. lol
 PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

For that low B string I would definitely recommend the BRX over the BR 210. The BR's are not a bad cab, its just that the BRX's are great cabs. Wink BRX handles a lot more low end.
 PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:26 am Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I was interested in the BR210-8C cab because of it's light weight and low price. If I have to spend more for the BRX than the BR to be happy I'll just stick with what I have. It's a 4X10 GK cab on casters, I already own it, it gets a good rich tone with that 10" speaker definition and is capable of clean LOUD volume when needed. It's HEAVY but I guess that's the price bass players pay for an amp rig that will work in ANY gig situation.
 PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

I hear you! I think of a bass rig like a drummer thinks of a drum kit. Sure electronic drums may be easily portable or some pieces of the kit are not needed, however, how do they sound or why be limited by a smaller set up? If a drummer has to carry all that crap, or the sound guy, or...whatever, I'll suck it up and cart around a big rig. Besides, with good PA support, you don't need a massive system to get a big sound. Bottom line: don't fix it if it ain't broke!
 PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:57 pm Reply with quote  

I have 2 BR210's and 2 BRX10.2's. I also cross-over the BRX 10.2 at 100hz, like you would a subwoofer, and eveything else goes to the BR210's. This setup works great for me, but if I had to use 1 cabinet, it would definitely be the BRX10.2! The BR210 is very punchy, but no deep bass response whatsoever. I wouldn't expect the BR210 Neo to be that much different as it is a sealed cab also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Carvin Bass Amplifiers

Page 1 of 1
Top of Page