Carvin Guitars, Amplifiers & Pro Audio   Please abide by the following rules:
  a. For issues with shipping, repairs or complaints, use the CONTACT page.
  b. No private sales, auctions or advertising services allowed.
  c. No topics of a political or religious nature, profanity, flaming other members or general bad behavior.
Carvin.com    Pro Audio    Guitars/Basses    Guitar Parts    Guitars-in-Stock    Guitar Amps    Bass Amps    Gift Shop
 Carvin Channel   Carvin Museum   FAQ   Search the BBS   Members   Register   Profile   Log in to check your PMs   Log in 
Pickup sound clips anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Website Suggestions View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jump to Bottom of Page  
Pickup sound clips anyone?
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:36 am Reply with quote  
Gold Member

I haven't read through all of the suggestions, so this may have already been thrown out there for discussion. Seems like there are a lot of questions concerning the sound of different Carvin pickups. Wouldn't it make sense to have some sound clips for various pickups? Maybe a clean and dirty clip for each one. I noticed that some companies that sell pickups provide these on their site. I find them to be very beneficial when searching for the right pup. Just a thought!
re: Pickup sound clips anyone?
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

YES!!!!

Carvin, please do this as most people can't drive up to a Carvin store and try out a variety of pickups.

There used to be clips for some of the pickups, but it would be great if Carvin could post some clean and dirty sound clips of each pickup on the pickup comparison page.
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:16 am Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

YES YES YES OH YES

And have them be the same lick, or just very similar, and same amp settings and amp, i mean you cant tell the differences of the pickup itself if it is a different player, amp, and style of lick!
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:11 am Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

A few years ago they used to have a limited set of sound clips, but they went away at some point. I don't know why.

I really like the kind of neutral comparison that nascarbean_97 called for. This LINK is a really excellent example, although I don't think Carvin needs be this elaborate. It would also be great if there were a clip or two for each pickup where they don't follow the constraints of the neutral comparison and just let them do what they do best.
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

If you go to the Seymour Duncan site, they have some very simple sound clips for most of their pickkups. Some other sites actually provide songs that were recorded with their pickups. I think something simple would be very helpful. The danger that I see is that Carvin offers so many wood options etc., that if they tried to cover everything that affected tone, it could be a nightmare. I wouldn't think it would be as difficult as providing demo videos for various guitars and amps, although I would love that too. Maybe someone from Carvin will give this some consideration. Smile
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

Shandrazar, thanks for the link. I finally had time to check it out. I think it's a great example of what everyone, so far, is talking about.
 PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

+1 for sound clips!
 PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

Even if not sound clips, the site desperately needs to fill-in-the-blanks. Some of the pickups listed on the "compare pickups" grid don't even have a description of tone. It becomes a complete crapshoot.

Some frequency response charts would be nice.
 PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote  
Elite Carvinite

The "jamroom" function used to let you hear sound clips of instruments and varying pickup choices within those. Some moved to the Carvin channel, but searching that is difficult.
 PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

This is something that really needs to be done IMO. Like stated before, very few can come drive down to a store and play em.

Of course to be accurate on their characteristics the same guitar and amp+setting would have to be used, although having the same player do all of this might be tough stretch. I imagine all it would take would be a single bolt guitar with a pickguard, and dumping in pickguards with different pickups.
Re: re: Pickup sound clips anyone?
 PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

twilightdusk wrote:
This is something that really needs to be done IMO. Like stated before, very few can come drive down to a store and play em.

Of course to be accurate on their characteristics the same guitar and amp+setting would have to be used, although having the same player do all of this might be tough stretch. I imagine all it would take would be a single bolt guitar with a pickguard, and dumping in pickguards with different pickups.

That would work, I do it with my Bolt kit and 4 different pickguards all the time!

Rock On
 PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:52 am Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

Yeah please do add this feature to the site. I haven't bought a new Carvin pickup for years because I haven't heard any samples myself.
 PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

+1
 PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Carvinite

I say yes, but only if done right. in other words try to have all the pick ups in as close to the same guitar as possible and dont color the sound with a bunch of studio magic or other instruments. Have it be a honest apples to apples comparison and I think it would really help people with pickup choice. I know I for one have wanted to try certain pickups but havent yet as Its such a craps shoot when you have nothing to go on.
 PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote  
Carvinite

Of COURSE that would be a great idea...to an extent. Carvin has to do these things right:

1. Do NOT pull off a Seymour Duncan and use, for example, the M22SD pickups to do a twang, non-gain sound as a 'dirty bridge' demo. If anything, each pickup should have a Clean, Twang, Rhythm, and Lead (shredding, soloing, etc) sound byte so that we get the best of both the vintage country, classic rock, and jazz world and the classic/modern metal world. Of course, these would ALL be played on a V3 with all 3 channels representing their respected sound clips (like channel 1 for Twang, 2 for Rhythm and Lead, and 3 for Clean with the appropriate settings for them).

2. For pickups that are good for every position, this will be hard because they should put a demo of, for example, the Twinblade pickups in, at least, the neck and bridge positions. The lucky break here is that all 3 Carvin single-coils are 95%+ of the time not used for metal. If anything, for the Twinblade Pickups, AP11, S60A, and the S22T, they could put a 'Clean Neck', 'Clean Bridge', 'Twang Neck', 'Twang Bridge', 'Dirty (like Seymour Duncan's website dirty) Neck', and 'Dirty Bridge'. These 6 sound clips would pretty much define the vintage twang that these all-around-position pickups posses. All should be played on channels 1 and 3 on a Carvin V3 half stack. As for the middle, it's a matter of imagining the tone in a more brightened setting. It's almost like blending the neck and bridge tones together only a little brighter. Makes it easy to decide what could be a great neck or bridge pickup to your Carvin Bolt or DC135.

3. Wood can be a work in progress. Since Alder is the standard wood, Carvin should focus on getting all of these sounds on a couple of guitars that are made of Alder. Down the road (like maybe once a week), Carvin could expand by playing these pickups in Mahogany guitars; then Koa, then Ash, etc. until all of the pickups and the different woods are basically covered. It's a perfect way to match the pickups that correspond BETTER for what a guitarist wants with the corresponding wood.

4. The same as #1 for the 7 and 8-string pickups; both active and passive (as odd as it is for Carvin not to have the active 6-string pickups on their 'compare pickups' page...) and the AP13 same as #2 except, of course, it'll be played in the middle coil since...it has no choice.

5. For each 'Dirty', 'Rhythm', and 'Lead' sound byte, they should add one or 2 harmonics to demonstrate how punchy, bright, or LOUD those harmonics can be for each pickup.

6. NO effects (purpledc hit it on the dot) should be used. We want legit sound; not a steroid-boosted one.

7. For each sound byte, 'Clean' should be the same riff with each pickup (something acoustic-like; Even Nothing Else Matters or Yellow Ledbetter could be PERFECT examples), 'Twang' should use the same riffs (maybe some Paul Gilbert or Ron Wood), 'Dirty' (Maybe Paul Gibert or Jimi Hendrix riffs), Rhythm (Maybe Metallica or Trivium), and Lead (Like Light to the Flies or Mouth For War). This way, we can pinpoint the differences in sound to determine which sound we like the most with good classic or modern examples!

8. Bass is not easy. I'd say 'More treble' (like Rush or Les Claypool), 'More bass' (like Black Sabbath or anything hip-hop), 'Jazz' (like Victor Wooten with slapping to expose the tone out of doing so with the intended pickup), and 'Hard Rock' (such as Down From the Sky or For Whom the Bell Tolls). Those 4 on every single-coil, Soapbar, and Humbucker with each corresponding wood (of COURSE in due time; starting with Alder) and amp (BX1500 or B2000 should be good enough) should be easy enough to get any bassist the pickup they desire just by listening in to these sound bytes.

If ALL THIS was done, Carvin would give many guitarists and bassists an opportunity to reconsider their decisions when choosing pickups especially if they were planning on using EMG, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, etc. Hey, we can all dream right? lol.
 PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:43 am Reply with quote  
Elite Carvinite

Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Website Suggestions

Page 1 of 1
Top of Page