Carvin Guitars, Amplifiers & Pro Audio   Please abide by the following rules:
  a. For issues with shipping, repairs or complaints, use the CONTACT page.
  b. No private sales, auctions or advertising services allowed.
  c. No topics of a political or religious nature, profanity, flaming other members or general bad behavior.
Carvin.com    Pro Audio    Guitars/Basses    Guitar Parts    Guitars-in-Stock    Guitar Amps    Bass Amps    Gift Shop
 Carvin Channel   Carvin Museum   FAQ   Search the BBS   Members   Register   Profile   Log in to check your PMs   Log in 
Opinions on 1584 and 1801 speakers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Carvin Pro Audio View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jump to Bottom of Page  
Opinions on 1584 and 1801 speakers.
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote  

There are a few people selling used 1584 and 1801 (non powered) speakers that I can look at.

I guess what worries me is that they are all priced to sell and none are moving. Assuming that the condition is good - what is the low down on these? I would probably use the built in crossover of the 18s to work with the tops.

I suppose weight is one.

I need say "Aye" or "Nae" soon.

- Ziggy -
re: Opinions on 1584 and 1801 speakers.
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

Are we talking LS1801?
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote  
Carvinite

If they are LS1801's I would not hesitate to buy them. I have used a set once and they were awesome. I cannot speak about they 1584's but they should be okay if the drivers all work. A lot of people don't give Carvin a chance because they are on that NAME trip. A lot of manufacturers have a big name that everyone likes to drop. They pay more for that big name and sometimes don't get more. IMHO.
If you can try them out I wouldn't hesitate to buy them.
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:11 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

I just got back into Carvin stuff recently, and I own the LS1801NA. It's the powered version of the LS1801N.
I know very little about Carvin's older speaker lines. If you are referring to the neodymium-equipped current line of 1801, I've got nothing but praise for it.

It's small, lightweight, attractive, and packs a Hell of a punch. Kinda the opposite of my ex-wife.
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

I can't speak to the 1584's, but if the 1801's are SW1801's, there were two sizes. The first was huge (I own a pair), with the second design being a good deal smaller. To the best of my knowledge, both used Eminence-sourced cast-frame drivers with conventional magnets.
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote  

1801. Wood cabs. Probably not neo. The ones I saw are about 300 RMS and 700 program i think. They run about 4 to 5 years old. One set did not have cup holes for speaker stand - the other might have. Built in crossover so you can plug daisy from one power amp.

The 1584 are a lot like the LS153 - but not trap shaped and 400 RMS. 68 pounds.
 PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote  
Carvinite

I believe you are looking at the SW1801's. 800 watt rating. I owned two sets of both of the speakers you're looking at. The subs worked just fine, I blew a couple of the 8" drivers in the 1584's. for reasons unknown (Used speakers). All in all I thought they were real good "starter" speakers. There are still times I wish I had kept one set of the 1584's.
 PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:41 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

Personally, I don't think I'd buy a sub that wasn't neo equipped. These days, there's just no reason to settle for less. Non-neo Subs are just too darn heavy. Carvin's pricing for a new one is pretty fair, too, so I'd say go that route.

Nowadays, weight is a major concern for me. Even if you have to piece a system together over time (like I recently did), it's worth it to have good quality, lightweight stuff. My new system now consists of an RX1200L, LM153 tops, and an LS1801NA. Anybody want my Yamaha Club series 12" monitor? It's heavier than one of my mains! LOL!

If I had bought an equivalent system a couple of years ago, it probably would've been over 100 lbs heavier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Carvin Pro Audio

Page 1 of 1
Top of Page