Carvin Guitars, Amplifiers & Pro Audio   Please abide by the following rules:
  a. For issues with shipping, repairs or complaints, use the CONTACT page.
  b. No private sales, auctions or advertising services allowed.
  c. No topics of a political or religious nature, profanity, flaming other members or general bad behavior.
Carvin.com    Pro Audio    Guitars/Basses    Guitar Parts    Guitars-in-Stock    Guitar Amps    Bass Amps    Gift Shop
 Carvin Channel   Carvin Museum   FAQ   Search the BBS   Members   Register   Profile   Log in to check your PMs   Log in 
Carvin P bass
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Carvin Basses View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jump to Bottom of Page  
Carvin P bass
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:07 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

I think Carvin should make a P bass. Jazz pickups are great, but theres only so much they can do, and they certainly can not make a true p bass sound. I would also like to see them offer some more tradtional "C" shaped neck profiles. Imagine a Carvin bass with a P/J pickup configuration an 8" fingerboard radius, a "c" shaped neck profile and 1.5" at the nut. That would be AWESOME. And dont tell me to go buy a fender, i would prefer a Carvin.
re: Carvin P bass
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote  
Carvinite

I think too many builder make P style basses nowaday. If they do introduce P style ... they must work with actives and avalaible for 5 and 6 strings basses. And H50 aren't single coil like Fender J they are stack humbucker.

If you don,t want a fender ... Lakland ?
2013 Icon6 fretless
 PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:07 am Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

What makes Carvin basses stand out it that Carvin Sound. I own a P-bass and I think most of the guys had played one. They all have their place. I wouldn't buy a Carvin p-bass if they made one unless it was very different, if it a copy buy a F----r bass.
 PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote  
Gold Member

I completely disagree. The jazz bass pickup is fender derivative. The musicman pickup is fender derivative. Active electronics are fender derivative. The electric bass and guitar are fender derivative. So is the p bass pickup. Whats the difference? The simple fact that almost all other builders offer p style basses should be a cue to Carvin to do the same(they did at one time ya know). All other builders offer active j basses, but Carvin doesnt make exception to that and say "everybody else does it, so why should we"? do they? no.

It is not WHAT Carvin offers that makes them significant. It is HOW thay offer it: cheap price, american made, good quality, and custom options. If you dont think theres a gigantic demographic of bass players out there who want a reasonably priced, high quality, customizable P bass, you are absolutely NUTS!! If you play any type of rock you should realize that nothing can sub for a p bass. period. And no, carvins j pickups sound nothing like an actual p pickup.

Carvin offers strat clones, les paul clones, es335 type hollow body clones, jazz type bass clones, musicman type bass clones...except they do it at a lower price and still keep the quality up. The next logical step is to start routing the basses for a p pickup. thats just my opinion though...

Also, carvins flat, wide neck only goes so far. Many players prefer a "jazz type" neck: c profile, 1.5" at the nut, and FAST.
 PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:33 am Reply with quote  
Carvinite

Well it is just that to me Carvin sound very modern, they don't feel or sound near a an old fender P bass. The sound of a p bass come also from the construction so I'm not so convinced with actives and NT type of construction.

Any electric bass builder owe something to Fender but many has step outside the traditional look and sound and Carvin is one of them I think. For offering 6 strings basses you have to be modern. If you look at the TL60, it looks like a Telecaster from Fender but it doesn't sound like it because the TL60 is a NT and the Telecaster is a bolt-on, so Carvin has the shape that people love with a modern sound.
2013 Icon6 fretless

Last edited by Mayers on Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
 PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

I'd rather just have a P-bass pickup as an option.

As for the tiny radius, you can get 10 inch radius fretboards already. I don't think Carvin will offer 8 inch.
Bass Amps: B800 Stack 2x10 1x15, RSP Preamp W/ DCML1000, RL610 Stack PB100-15
 PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:01 am Reply with quote  
Gold Member

Im not saying Carvin should start making a traditional old precision bass with a pickguard and all. Im just saying it would be nice to be able to get a precision type pickup in your B4 of your LB20 along with maybe a thinner, rounder more tradtional neck shape (and some full size CTS pots wouldn't hurt either AHEM).

Carvins necks are huge to my hands (and its not like im small at 6'3" and 210lbs). They are just too wide and flat and thick. Their great for finger style playing if you use perfect technique with your thumb anchored on the bottom of the treble side of the neck, but if you wanna curve your thumb over the top like you can on a jazz bass to mute the E string while your slapping its painful. Plus i think the string spacing is very wide, so if you play with a pick it might be slow compared to other basses. I just get so sick of seeing all the stuff that guitar players get from Carvin....simple economics i suppose...us bass players just arent worth the investment. They probably sell like 150 guitars for every 10 basses. Im not mad, i just cant believe Carvin doesnt offer precision pickups in their basses...it boggles my mind.
 PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

While nothing can sound exactly like a Fender P-Bass, some of the better copies come close and perhaps even sound better. My Lakland is the best P-Bass I have ever heard or played. That being said, it can only make a P-Bass sound.

Our ears are used to hearding the output of specific pickups.
For the first years of rock, the P-Bass pickup was the major player. Then came Jazz, musicman and soapbars in that order. Ignoring other notable instruments like Rickenbacker, our ears are trained to like P-Bass and Jazz pickups.

When we play out the versatility of our instrument is very important. I use a Drop-D tuner to play all our songs so I don't need a 5-string bass. Its a tough decision for me to choose my P-Pass vs the Jazz bass because each one sounds better for specific songs.

If Carvin wanted to sell me a bolt-on bass, they would need to have a P+J combination with a Drop-D tuner on the E string. There may be plenty of options out there for this kind of combination, but there's no reason not to get this from Carvin.

And by P pickup, I mean Precision Bass, not Piezo.

Have any of you seen Stuart Hamm's bass? He uses a P sandwiched between two J pickups. I like this idea a lot.

I would happily purchase a Carvin B4 with J+P+J pickups. They I would rip out the pickups and install Bartolinis. This would be an amazing bass!
 PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

well... the P-pickup has been suggested before, in the suggestions forum. Nothing has come of it as of yet however. I'd also like to see Carvin possibly bring back the M22B pickups for a limited run.
 PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

I think the P bass sound is mostly due to a pickup placement, split single coil pickup, and neck construction. P basses just have a great balance of throaty punch and clarity. I would really like to see Carvin do a P bass, but with the standard Carvin upgrades: tilt headstock, graphtech nut, great bridge, flatter radius, etc...
 PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

the P-bass pickup is a split humbucker, not a split single coil. The two halves are RWRP and cancel hum, and from the sound i'd say they are run in series.

The position however is key, but it's also the same as the standard "mid" position that most bass pickups are put in. We just need Carvin to make a P-pickup.
 PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

I like Carvin as they are. Look, if you want a P bass, just buy any old Fender that fits the bill and make due. There's far too much copying as it is in the industry and not enough of a do your own thing attitude.

Carvin is fine. And if you get a phase switch option on a H50, it's really quite similar.(note - this is from an older LB70 with H50Ns and 9V preamp - the new stuff might sound very different)
Re: re: Carvin P bass
 PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:21 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

Plekto wrote:
I like Carvin as they are. Look, if you want a P bass, just buy any old Fender that fits the bill and make due. There's far too much copying as it is in the industry and not enough of a do your own thing attitude.

Carvin is fine. And if you get a phase switch option on a H50, it's really quite similar.(note - this is from an older LB70 with H50Ns and 9V preamp - the new stuff might sound very different)

Problem with that is a Carvin p bass would cost you about $900 new with some pretty nice options. The fender with the same options would cost you at least $2100 cause you'd have to buy that p/j custom shop model they make. And their standard model is like $1099 with nothing on it 'cept a maple neck and an alder body.

Carvin is already copying when they make an active j bass, or a musicman pickup or a bass period. They dont care about having a "do your own thing attitude". They are in the biz to make money. And i think a precision type bass would make them some serious money. Just have a base model with passive electronics, a passive p/j or just p pickup layout, and a solid color. They could sell those for like $700 all day.

When i saw the icon i was like "ew, thats what Carvin has been working on since the last time they came out with a new model in '98!?" Looks like ill be waiting a while to buy another Carvin after my new b4 rolls in. I have no interest in their "fancy" quilt top icon type basses. they are just too over the top for me. The b4 on the other hand is nice and simple, they just need to add a precision pickup option. I mean seriously all they have to do is program their machine to carve the route and either buy some precision pups from some other manufacturer or they can wind thier own. It just boggles my mind why they dont do this. I have asked their sales people before if i could get a different neck profile and a p pup and all of them have said "sigh...unfortunately not".
 PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote  
Carvinite

Biggest problem I see with P style is ... they'll need to do 5 strings, 5 strings wide and 6 strings model as well as 4 strings and they need to make them work with actives electronics.
2013 Icon6 fretless
 PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:19 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

Quote:
Biggest problem I see with P style is ... they'll need to do 5 strings, 5 strings wide and 6 strings model as well as 4 strings and they need to make them work with actives electronics.

Who in their right mind would want an active P bass? That's a contradiction. Wink Every time I've seen active basses discussed on recording forums, the engineers say that, without fail, they always ask bass players to put their basses in neutral. Mr. Green

I suppose 5 strings would sell, but the 4 string version would be the one that sold the most. And 6 strings? I have yet to understand the point of 6 string basses. If you really want a 6 string bass you should learn to play lead guitar, because a bass doesn't need to go that high. Cool

Stir Stir Stir Stir
 PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:45 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

I haven't heard much in terms of reviews, but the P-bass pickup doesn't really seem to work out as well on basses with more than 4 strings. usually people going for the P-bass pickup are going for the vintage sound. Also, with passive electronics you can get different kinds of sounds out of the bass.
Re: re: Carvin P bass
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote  
Carvinite

NCdan wrote:
Quote:

Who in their right mind would want an active P bass? That's a contradiction. Wink Every time I've seen active basses discussed on recording forums, the engineers say that, without fail, they always ask bass players to put their basses in neutral. Mr. Green

I suppose 5 strings would sell, but the 4 string version would be the one that sold the most. And 6 strings? I have yet to understand the point of 6 string basses. If you really want a 6 string bass you should learn to play lead guitar, because a bass doesn't need to go that high. Cool

Stir Stir Stir Stir

well if you play jazz or want to explore or be more than just the low E note in a song. It is an amaizing instrument if you take the time to see what can be done with it. I've always feel very limited on four string and well I've always thought the bass should go lower tthan E. And 6 strings bass doesn,t go that high you know ... you have 3 more notes pass the high G of the 24th fret of the G string. but the fact of having that 6th string open a lot of option like I said before.

Listening to John Patitucci ( Chick Corea electic band ), John Myung ( dream theater ), Anthony Jackson, Les Claypool, Alain Caron and many other who play with 6 strings basses.

I did saw a 6 strings basses with actives and P bass style pickup make by F Bass. The bass player for Uzeb, Alain Caron, play with a 6 strings p bass with active.
2013 Icon6 fretless
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote  
Carvinite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5uin7Clzs4&feature=related

This is a video of Alain Caron playing slap technic on his 6 strings p bass
2013 Icon6 fretless
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:50 am Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

Quote:
well if you play jazz or want to explore or be more than just the low E note in a song. It is an amaizing instrument if you take the time to see what can be done with it. I've always feel very limited on four string and well I've always thought the bass should go lower tthan E. And 6 strings bass doesn,t go that high you know ... you have 3 more notes pass the high G of the 24th fret of the G string. but the fact of having that 6th string open a lot of option like I said before.

Listening to John Patitucci ( Chick Corea electic band ), John Myung ( dream theater ), Anthony Jackson, Les Claypool, Alain Caron and many other who play with 6 strings basses.

I did saw a 6 strings basses with actives and P bass style pickup make by F Bass. The bass player for Uzeb, Alain Caron, play with a 6 strings p bass with active.

First of all... Did I say high G? I meant high C. Wall Well, I guess I can respect other people's preferences, Mr. Green but the bass playing on that C string just doesn't sound good to my ears: it just loses all the thump on that C string (I try to avoid chugging on the D and G strings for the same reason). I played in different jazz bands throughout my teens, and the bass always did walking bass lines, but we're talking more traditional jazz, not modern jazz. A 6 (or more) string bass to me is like a drummer who has like 8 cymbals and 6 toms -- it's just dumb. Great drummers really only need two toms and a hi hat, ride, and two crashes. Rolling Eyes And then there's the 8 string guitar... same thing. Razz But yeah, I guess some styles of music use basses with more strings. There's that one thing called a stick, I think, and that's a bass with....... a lot of strings. Maybe Carvin will make a P stick; there's a huge market for that. Cool
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote  
Carvinite

Sounds like a buncha frustrated guitarists! Mr. Green

I totally get the 5 string bass. I'm planning on building a Bk5 one of these days. I like that extra WOOMP! But I agree with Dan on this one. That C string just doesn't sound right. It doesn't sound like a bass. At that point it's all musical masturbation. "I'm out of ideas so I'll just play more notes". Some friends of mine were playing the other night and the stage was so small the drummer set up with bass drum, snare, hihatt and one crash. He sounded great because he can play. I remember one time beofre he used the same set-up and let someone sit in and the guy was saying how hard it was to play with that small of a kit. A great tenor sax player can say plenty within the range of his instrument, he doesn't say need an extended range sax so he can play those alto notes.

Stir Stir Stir Stir Stir

Page 1 of 2
Top of Page