Carvin Guitars, Amplifiers & Pro Audio   Please abide by the following rules:
  a. For issues with shipping, repairs or complaints, use the CONTACT page.
  b. No private sales, auctions or advertising services allowed.
  c. No topics of a political or religious nature, profanity, flaming other members or general bad behavior.
Carvin.com    Pro Audio    Guitars/Basses    Guitar Parts    Guitars-in-Stock    Guitar Amps    Bass Amps    Gift Shop
 Carvin Channel   Carvin Museum   FAQ   Search the BBS   Members   Register   Profile   Log in to check your PMs   Log in 
Carvin neck shape
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Carvin.com BBS Forum Index » Carvin Guitars View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jump to Bottom of Page  
Carvin neck shape
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:28 am Reply with quote  

I'm considering a DC4, a CT4 or a DC127. I'm very curious as to the neck shape of a Carvin, since it's the same neck shape on all guitars. Is it closer to an Ibanez Wizard, Wizard II, Super Wizard, Gibson 60s Slim Taper, Gibson Rounded 59, current "C" Strat, or perhaps a Tele shape? I know the fingerboard radius & fret size/material all effect it, too, but I'd like to know what the back of the neck is shaped like & just how big/small or thick/thin it is.

I see lots of guys ripping it up on videos with their Carvin guitars & I can't imagine the sweeping/raking & fast legato stuff I'm seeing with a big "Rounded 59" shape! Some guys, maybe: me, no way. I don't have big "Vai-sized" hands. I like a 60s slim taper & I like Ibanez Wizard/Wizard II/Super Wizard family of thin necks. I don't really like wide fingerboards, either. I know that only the 10-day trial will tell the tale, but I'd like some input from some current Carvin players to at least get an idea. Thanks.
re: Carvin neck shape
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:59 am Reply with quote  
Carvinite

I always found it had a nice medium size to it, similar to a Jackson USA.. Can't comment on the gibsons as I have no idea, but I think its a little thinner than Fender Strat shape, but definitely thicker than Ibanez Wizards.. Since going to Carvin, I can't go back to Wizard necks at all.. Maybe a Wizard II but even then my hand starts to cramp a bit.

Carvin necks really are amazing, but its hard to explain until you try them. I think thats what makes them so great though, along with the outstanding fretwork at the price. (fretwork rivals most $3k+ guitars)
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:09 am Reply with quote  
Gold Member

think generic medium C shape, but a bit wider across the nut than a Fender
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:43 am Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

When I first got my Carvin Bolt, I didn't like the neck at all, it felt huge compared to my Charvel's and my Wizard necks. It took me a while to get used to it, but since then, I can't play nearly as well, or as comfortably on my Charvels or Ibanez as I can on my Carvin. I too get cramps from the thin necks now.

The Carvin neck profile was an adjustment for me, but it has turned out to be a good adjustment.
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:53 am Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

I've got big ole hands. Played Ibanez for over 20 years and loved it. Bought a CS6, played it for 5 minutes, and realized I had never played on a nicer neck. Have not played an Ibanez since. Carvins necks are a bit thicker, they really fit my hands better than the Ibbys.
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:19 am Reply with quote  
Carvinite

I have a nice LP with the 60's slim taper that is the guitar that imprinted most of the muscle memory to my hands over the past 34 years. My CS6 is slighty thicker feeling, but considerably beefier on the shoulder.
My LP is closer to my great-nephew's Ibanez than it is to my CS, but the CS is much sleeker than the 50's neck profiles I have encountered on Gibson guitars.
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Member

The only Carvin that I own showed up yesterday - and the neck on it feels almost indiscernible to me from a PRS Wide Thin profile. AC275 with a 10" radius.
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

I can't comment on any of those guitars having not played them personally. I was always under the impression that the set necks were a slightly different neck than the bolts but I could be wrong. What I DO have is a bolt plus which I imagine would be of a similar nature to your dc option.

The neck is most assuredly thinner and faster than the modern fender c shape(I had one). It is probably closer to a parentheses shape with just a hair more size to it. Ex. "(" like that shape. Wide thin might be a decent description but if you get what I got don't expect it to be as wide as a prs or an ibanez its a nice compromise. Its definitely as thin or, aybe even slightly thinner than my japanese made jackson (model year 2011) it truly is a great neck. It made me want to immediately sell all of my other guitars and replace them with carvins.

Now, you hit the nail on the head when you said there are other factors, there are. Fret wire size, radius and fretboard composition will all affect the feel and size of your neck. For referrence mine is a 12" radius with ss medium jumbo frets and a maple fretboard.

In conclusion, I personally feel its a cross between an ibanez prestige neck and a fender usa strat neck. For, me, it definitely works, and works well.
 PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote  

Interesting idea: would Carvin build a CT4, DC4 or DC127 with a neck cut to the specs of the GAMBALE model? I watched the video of Frank & his signature model design & I thought it was quite fascinating that he said he had Carvin *shave the neck down thinner* because he preferred thinner necks. That makes me think the Gambale model has a neck carve very similar to an Ibanez. If they'd build a "gambale neck carve" & require the owner to give up the 10-day trial that's definitely something worth considering.
Re: re: Carvin neck shape
 PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

woodshed wrote:
Interesting idea: would Carvin build a CT4, DC4 or DC127 with a neck cut to the specs of the GAMBALE model? I watched the video of Frank & his signature model design & I thought it was quite fascinating that he said he had Carvin *shave the neck down thinner* because he preferred thinner necks. That makes me think the Gambale model has a neck carve very similar to an Ibanez. If they'd build a "gambale neck carve" & require the owner to give up the 10-day trial that's definitely something worth considering.

There are some other neck shapes you can order that will cost you $100 and the trial period. A couple years ago, they scanned some old fat Gibson necks, Fender, and an Ibanez Wizard. If you search, you can find the threads that go into more detail about it. I thought hard about the Ibanez profile, but I'm going to give the Carvin neck a shot, since it's my first build/Carvin experience.
 PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:41 am Reply with quote  

woodshed wrote:

I'm with you on this suggestion! It would be a great idea but how about NOT GIVING UP the 10 day trial? I've been really struggling with ordering an option 50 slimmer profile neck with no return possible. This freaks me out because my future build is going to be over 2k. (what happens if I love the opt50 neck but, not something else like the top that was standard?) It would be great if Carvin offered the Gambale profile (or similar slim profile neck) as a standard option covered under their return policy. I'm literally making plans to fly from out of state to CA to visit the store before I order. This is going to cost me several hundreds of dollars. But it is the only way I will know what options I really want on the build and to get one in my hands prior to ordering. I'd rather fly in and make the right choices the first time on my order than "guess" what seems right over the internet and wait 6 weeks only to find I'm not happy. I'd love to see a push for a "slim" (i.e. Wizard, Gambale type) neck profile as a standard option.
 PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote  

[quote="kiddmark66"]
woodshed wrote:
...I'd love to see a push for a "slim" (i.e. Wizard, Gambale type) neck profile as a standard option.

YES!!!! THIS!!!! I would love a slim option!
 PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote  

I recently posted a poll for this option under the product suggestion area. Please go there and vote for it! maybe we can generate enough interest to make it possible! I don't mind paying for an option 50 I just don't like the idea of not being able to return the guitar if something else on the guitar is it to my liking. I'll pay extra all day long. But please don't leave me holding a 2K guitar bought sight unseen where somethi ng else isn't quite right because i wanted a thinner neck. I really don't think a slim tapered neck would keep Carvin from being able to re-sell to second party if needed. in fact I bet it might prove to be quite the contrary.
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

My suggestion, if you're in Op. 50 territory, is to pull out all the stops: Supply a picture of the type of top you'd like. Yes, it costs more, since they have to go through all their wood to match it, but you'll be getting very close to exactly the look of the guitar you want. For $2k, why leave anything up to chance?
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

If you are at all nervous about giving up the 10 day free trial, then DON'T DO IT! Remember that you are ordering something highly customized to your tastes and it may be extremely difficult to unload it if you are not happy with the results.

My current Carvin was an option 50, and it didn't turn out the way I hoped. Although it wasn't a total disaster, after spending over a grand and not getting what I intended, I was mightily disappointed.

Just one man's opinion!
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

What disappointed you about that bolt? I would never buy a guitar with a wilky, or a middle pickup, but your finish is friggin amazing.
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote  

yeah, my concern is not so much Carvins quality. we all know beautiful guitars are like beautiful women. it doesn't really matter how beautiful they are sometimes things just don't work out. A guitar that you love is something you know and feel immediately when you bond with it. just like a relationship, just because she is beautiful doesn't mean it's going to work. I know I like thin necks ( and blondes, ha!). another analogy would be a boot. it could look super ballistic and cool as hell all day long but if your marching around in a size that never fit you right in the first place you're going to hate it and never be comfortable. it doesn't matter how cool it looks. so to some regard, no slim taper neck creates a possibility of no guitar from Carvin for me unless i want to take it to my Luther and have him shave the next to my specifications. With this added cost, I have to start looking at different guitars as Carvin starts to lose its competitive edge. which I feel is a complete shame because Carvin has all the goods to deliver this option anyways. Confused Crying or Very sad I definitely don't wanna come off as a whiner here but it really makes it a shame because now I'm in striking distance of a PRS or other similar guitar. And guess what I actually really want a Carvin and that's why I'm here. Very Happy
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote  
Platinum Member

Spamspam, it is a beautiful guitar and Carvin's build quality is top notch (as are every one of their guitars). It almost turned out perfectly. My "problem" was, however, that (due to poor communication between my salesman and myself and a very ambiguous Invoice feature list) I requested and thought I was getting a HSS pu configuration since I have a strong personal preference for a single coil neck pickup. As you can see, in fact, it came with a neck hummer. I have since put a coil split switch in for that pu. Although its now a close approximation, it's still not a pure single coil tone.

Because the DTS orange without burst was an option 50, Carvin would not take it back. Ironically, I discovered after requesting a return (my argument was that the quitar was not built to ordering specs.) that Carvin would not do an HSS config in a bolt plus. About 6 months later they added HSS as an option - but too late for me!

The lesson I learned is that even when you have though and carefully make sure all your "i" are dotted - things can still get screwed up. I'll never do another option 50 for that reason.

Cheers
 PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote  
Gold Member

Quote:
I'll never do another option 50 for that reason.

I would NEVER, EVER order a guitar that was option 50. I would be MIGHTY ticked if I ordered an HSS and got an HSH. Forget the blazin' finish, that's on Carvin in my opinion.
 PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:36 am Reply with quote  
Gold Carvinite

I feel ya. Sorry to hear about that. I agree with your advise, when ordering something non standard, make triple sure your I's are crossed and T's dotted.

Page 1 of 2
Top of Page